1200RT crashbars- Which ones?

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mornin all,
i am going to put some engine bars on my RT. Has anybody got any advice which ones to go for? Basically the choice is between the Wunderlich or Hornig.
I prefer the look of the Hornig ones as they have less metalwork on show BUT they appear to connect direct to the engine block. After reading the blurb about "points of inflection" etc on the Wunderlich bars i am wary that the Hornig ones might do more harm than good and crack the block if the bike falls over.
Any pointers appreciated.
Thanks.

Have a look at the wunderlich video on youtube - that might make your mind up for you :thumb

I have Wunderlich bars - fitted them myself (it was a doddle) never had the cause to use them but they are strong and look fine on the bike (I dont notice them now)

I went for the Chrome ones and the only thing I would say is that I started to see a small amount of rust spots on them on some of the connection points but I now just rub them down with ACF50 and had no problems - been fitted 2 years.

Rik

Whichever ones you fit, make sure you take them off yourself before any BMW dealer service, they charged me hours worth or work to remove and re-fit as they were not BMW ones...

:mad:

In this case with the Wunderlich ones they do not need removal fro general service - even the cylinder heads can come off without the removal of the bars.

Regards
Rik

Yeah they are the same to look at as the Hornig ones. Problem is they appear to only have one fixing to the engine so probably not much protection in a 'drop'. Cheers

It might be worth asking about the Police version RT 1200 crashbars. Not the prettiest things, but apparently effective.

I have an RTP. The bars are quick and easy to fit/unfit - are PROVEN to save the plastic in gentle drops and if you are into such things, provide convenient mounting for lights, tool tubes etc etc

Back
Top Bottom