Coastal base for the Picos and suggestions for San Sebastian please?

Martyn B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Heading off for the Pyrenees soon for a week or so then heading back west to the Picos for a few days before getting the ferry back from Santander again. We'd like to have a place to stay (hotel - SWMBO likes her comforts :D:D) which is on the coast but in reach of the Picos for return day trips. We are also looking for accommodation in the San Sebastian area for a couple of nights.

Any suggestions? :nenauO

Aye thank you...:thumb

Martyn

Martyn,

Cannot tell the name of the hotel but the town of ribadesella, is always our port of call for the last few days of a trip, seems you have the same idea, and its within short distance for days into picos. its a little quiet but some nice resturants and bars and the beach never seems busy. Have a great time and post some pics when your back.

coast and mountains

Ribadesella is a great place, good food and plenty of hotels.
A lot of small and bigger beaches close by, with easy access the the northern & central Picos.
Hotesl are plentyful, always stayed in the,
Ribadesella Playa, right on the Promenade.
www.ribadesella.es has all the info.

have a good time

Josey

Ta lots...

Thanks both,:thumb2

Unfortunately the Playa is fully booked for the days we will be there but there are plenty more. More expensive though!:eek:

Cheers,

Martyn

booked

The Villa Rosario is a bit over the top, but they have a second, probably cheaper house, without the seaview.
If you go a bit outside of Riba, you might have to get a taxi home, but the prices might be lower.
There are plenty of places outside, El Carmen, La Bolera, La LLosona etc.
Jardin de Eugenia is off the main Road.
Try Don Pepe which is also on the prom in Riba or the Verdemar just a few steps off it.
Boston is a bit basic baut still close to the beach.
I wouldn't go below three stars for creature comforts.
Always stayed in the Playa for the view and the ease to get back after a feed and drinks in the Sideria Carroceu.
Josey

San Vicente de la Barquera is also worth considering. Lovely town, loads of restaurants and tapas bars. Plenty of good hotels. Visit the old medieval part with its castle, ancient church and lovely views. All within easy reach of the Picos.

San Vicente de la Barquera is also worth considering. Lovely town, loads of restaurants and tapas bars. Plenty of good hotels. Visit the old medieval part with its castle, ancient church and lovely views. All within easy reach of the Picos.

Second that.

A lesson!

Thanks both,:thumb2

Unfortunately the Playa is fully booked for the days we will be there but there are plenty more. More expensive though!:eek:

Cheers,

Martyn

Decided to ring the Playa as things were getting booked up everywhere...;)

Bingo! Despite what the internet said, they had a vacancy with a sea view at 130 Euros a night which is LESS than the going rate for a beach hotel in northern Spain in August.

So, the moral is, pick up the phone, don't tap the keys...:rob

Thanks to everyone for their three ha'pence :thumb2

Bon Voyage

Safe trip and return.
Have a pleasant holiday.
I always liked the Carroceu in Riba, full of local people, which is a good sign, and a good choice of simple foods and great Sidra/Cider.
They have an English menu if you ask for it.
The breakfast in the Riba is a bit basic, I went around the corner into the cafe Nerian, fresh juice, great coffee, rolls, croissants and other food items.

Thanks Josey!

We'll check that out - first we're in the Pyrenees. Ferry pulling in to Santander in 2 hours.

Just spent £8.50 on ships internet access to watch the German F1 as I haven't caught up with it yet to find out you can only watch it on iplayer in the UK - Doh!!! (and I can't see the smilies on this site either)

Ribadesella playa,a good recommendation stayed there myself.Great people,
good food,the untapped side of spain.

Decided to ring the Playa as things were getting booked up everywhere...;)

Bingo! Despite what the internet said, they had a vacancy with a sea view at 130 Euros a night which is LESS than the going rate for a beach hotel in northern Spain in August.

So, the moral is, pick up the phone, don't tap the keys...:rob

Thanks to everyone for their three ha'pence :thumb2

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I was hoping I could do a WEEK for that kind of money. Think I shall be taking kipping bags with me and staying in the shadows.

I never realised it was that expensive over there- I thought Spain was in a crisis. It is me that is in crisis now.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I was hoping I could do a WEEK for that kind of money. Think I shall be taking kipping bags with me and staying in the shadows.

I never realised it was that expensive over there- I thought Spain was in a crisis. It is me that is in crisis now.

Still over there as I write this. Prices vary tremendously but best was Burgos at 49 euros, most was the one in Ribadesella above. All the rest have been between 80-100 euros per night.

Expensive if you have a missus that doesn't do camping. Not complaining though - we're on the bike and having a great time...:D:D:D

I wish I had seen this earlier, spent quite a bit of time in San Sebastian due to previous employer, favourite hotel is The Londres incredible views, not cheap.

Great Tapas/Pintos in the Old Town.

Good restaurant on the front overlooking the bay, can't remember the name but dome shaped building.

Enjoy.

Well, thats a coincidence

I wish I had seen this earlier, spent quite a bit of time in San Sebastian due to previous employer, favourite hotel is The Londres incredible views, not cheap.

Great Tapas/Pintos in the Old Town.

Good restaurant on the front overlooking the bay, can't remember the name but dome shaped building.

Enjoy.

Bizarre! Just checked into the Mercure Monte Igueldo in San Seb'. AMAZING view :thumb, just don't eat there!(45euros per head min). The Londres on the front has to be THE place to be. Can't imagine any room less than 200 euros a night :eek:

All beach restaurants maxed out. Didnt fancy eating tapas standing up after a 240 mile ride though so went for a pizzeria. Two pasta dishes, water, beer and wine both of us for 32 euros seems ok for the town. I have never seen so many good looking women in one place. Tables turned -? the girls we're watching the guys playing volleyball on the beach and getting uh, VERY suggestive? :bounce1

Oh to be 18 again :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom