R1200RT Mirrors ?

Cortina

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Very pleased with my new toy - in nearly all respects

BUT ... The mirrors .... Anyone else find them crap ??
(nice view of my hands though)

Any solutions ? - I'm hoping a set of bar risers may kill two birds !!

Got a set of mirrors that I used on mine, they screw into the convenient holes in the bars. Also got a set of Wunderlich vario risers up for sale. Have gone back to a GS

I have bar risers, you still see your hands but it is better.

I find the mirrors not that good either so i brought the BMW mirror conversion, but expensive £130. good quality kit.

You can get any mirrors and buy the kit from nippy normans £19 plus mirrors and extra bits.

I have new 10mm clamps and rubbers as my kit came with 10mm bits but you have to buy 8mm bits for the bmw clamps.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=76241

Bar raisers for deffo - made a massive difference to me.

Saying that just changed to a Sargent seat and now have to have it in lower position rather than high as previous - can now see a small reflection of fingers in the mirror - so alot to do with positioning and body height.

Rik

Depends on the model. For the older cast aluminum handlebars with the holes next to the reservoirs HG have some excellent mirrors for about £13 each. They have a black carbon weave effect on the back and the mirror glass is adjustable within the housing. You do however need a small adapter to mate the stem to the hole - this is not expensive and I could have a set made up for you by the engineer who did mine

The magnification is about the same as the oem ones so no confusion and their size/positioning means a quick flick of the eyes takes in the rear view without any refocussing

Let me know if you want photos

Thanks - I have new risers on order from states (£53 !!) - so will see how they work out first !

I must admit that they are not the best out there (better on pan euro or even 700 Deauville).
The best mirrors of this style was on a PC800 of all things.
Incidentally, what are bar risers ?.

Never had a problem with my mirrors. I really rate them.

Anyone thought of buying those little stick on 'blind spot' malarkies that you can get at Halfords and the like?

I must admit that they are not the best out there (better on pan euro or even 700 Deauville).
The best mirrors of this style was on a PC800 of all things.
Incidentally, what are bar risers ?.

Steve,

Take a few hours and look back through the pages of this section, it will be really helpful and give you some good ideas.

Here's a link for my risers http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297389

they lift your bars straight up, or up and towards you :thumb2

I actually had a Pan 1100 a while back - mirrors were the same concept , but they worked perfectly !! .... interesting ...

what?

the mirrors are great on RT's!!! Much better than GS's....what do you normally drive, a Scania?!! You just need to move your elbows slightly and you can see back to the horizon behind you!! (clearly and vibration free)

Don't want much do you!!

Marc

BUT ... The mirrors .... Anyone else find them crap ??
(nice view of my hands though)

Any solutions ? - I'm hoping a set of bar risers may kill two birds !!

Moved from a gs to an rt a while back. The mirrors on the rt are most definately superior to the gs and give a better rear view. The key is setting them up properly- as a starting point set them up so the knuckles of your hand appear in the top inside quarter of the mirror.

Peter

I've just cottoned on when reading this through again... it seems some are expecting to be able to have the view through their RT mirrors completely free of bars and hands. How daft is that? :nenau Unless you are 12 inches wide at the shoulder, or fit extended mirror arms the width of a Transit, what bike provides you a rearward view without catching a bit of shoulder or arm in the edge of the mirrors? The difference with the RT (and ST, etc.) is that it's your hands that are in the eye-line. So live with it! :comfort

I've just cottoned on when reading this through again... it seems some are expecting to be able to have the view through their RT mirrors completely free of bars and hands. How daft is that? :nenau Unless you are 12 inches wide at the shoulder, or fit extended mirror arms the width of a Transit, what bike provides you a rearward view without catching a bit of shoulder or arm in the edge of the mirrors? The difference with the RT (and ST, etc.) is that it's your hands that are in the eye-line. So live with it! :comfort

Try a Pan 1100 - 100% clear view of the road behind ... so YES , that's what I expect !!

Never had a problem with my mirrors. I really rate them.

Anyone thought of buying those little stick on 'blind spot' malarkies that you can get at Halfords and the like?

I bought a pair off amazon. Quite small and adjustable so I was able to get them to work well. Probably not cool but neither am I :thumb2 BTW I find the standard mirrors good but I just wanted to eliminate the blind spots.

Yes, for 6 months

I bought a pair off amazon. Quite small and adjustable so I was able to get them to work well. Probably not cool but neither am I :thumb2 BTW I find the standard mirrors good but I just wanted to eliminate the blind spots.
They are, generally rubbish. After 6 months, they have misted to a point where they are unuseable.
Unfortunately, BMW do not fit or make mirrors similar to the ones on my car which have the blind spot outer edge built in.

Myke

I have bar risers, you still see your hands but it is better.

I find the mirrors not that good either so i brought the BMW mirror conversion, but expensive £130. good quality kit.

You can get any mirrors and buy the kit from nippy normans £19 plus mirrors and extra bits.

I have new 10mm clamps and rubbers as my kit came with 10mm bits but you have to buy 8mm bits for the bmw clamps.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=76241

Do the mirrors vibrate very much? I have got some mirrors but they vibrate a lot.

Back
Top Bottom