K1600GT - Water pump

Wapping

Reaction score
If anyone notices blueish marks or stains on the heat shield close to the water pump, you may well have a small leak.

It's not clear if the pump itself leaks or its connecting hoses and clamps.

It now seems that BMW are replacing the 1600's radiator cap, along with the radiator cap on my F800R, which I guess is a common component over the two models.

They are doing it when the bikes come in for a routine service or some other general visit to the dealership.

It now seems that BMW are replacing the 1600's radiator cap, along with the radiator cap on my F800R, which I guess is a common component over the two models.

They are doing it when the bikes come in for a routine service or some other general visit to the dealership.

Thanks! will ask dealer to do this when I take it in for the 12000 mile service

My bike overheated in the Alps.

The first time whist sitting for two minutes at some road works on the climb up to the Eagles Nest at 28c air tempreature. The second time on the climb up the Grossglockner Pass into Italy, when it dumped the contents of its header tank down the mountain.

The bike was recovered from the Grossglockner, back to a BMW dealer's in Austria. The radiator and tick-over seemed to be functioning, it already had the 'new' radiator cap (fitted just prior to departure) and the water pump seemed to be OK. There was some muck in the radiator fins, but nothing more than would be normal in 14,000 miles or a year's riding.

The end conclusion was that it was an air lock, cause as yet unknown.

It has been fine since, behaving perfectly through the Dolomites and on the steady blast back through France to home. BMW Park Lane are due to have a look at it anyway and may change the radiator..... we shall see.

Stop it Richard, Tom will be scared to take the bike passed his driveway gates at this rate, and i'm riding to the Ardenees with him on friday week :eek:

Maybe his trip to the Harley Dealership again on Saturday may have been a foresight.

Hope your bike gets sorted :thumb2

Our intrepid traveller about to descend back down the Grossglockner on the back of a recovery truck. The heavens opened as soon as he (and Rory) set off, leaving Mrs ChasMill and I to bravely soldier on in to Italy.

Apologies for the iPhone photo ...

Bike is still at BMW Park Lane in Battersea.... Still hunting for a cause of the overheating problem..... As it stands they say the bike appears in every way normal, so they and BMW Technical Support in Germany are at a loss to explain it. The best guess is still an airlock, cause as yet unknown.....

Bike is still at BMW Park Lane in Battersea.... Still hunting for a cause of the overheating problem..... As it stands they say the bike appears in every way normal, so they and BMW Technical Support in Germany are at a loss to explain it. The best guess is still an airlock, cause as yet unknown.....

Sorry to hear that .. I decided it is too much to risk taking my bike out of the garage this weekend.

So what bike are you going away on this Saturday?

Sorry to hear that .. I decided it is too much to risk taking my bike out of the garage this weekend.

So what bike are you going away on this Saturday?

go on Tom, tell Richard why you have cancelled this weekend, leaving the other five us stranded and i after i changed my train at great expense so you didnt have to ride to the Ardennes alone, oh and making me book an extra days holiday as well :rob

go on Tom, tell Richard why you have cancelled this weekend, leaving the other five us stranded and i after i changed my train at great expense so you didnt have to ride to the Ardennes alone, oh and making me book an extra days holiday as well :rob

I await the spilling of the beans...... Is is because it might rain?

In the meantime, back on planet Earth, my 1600 is back with me, along with a new thermostat.

I await the spilling of the beans...... Is is because it might rain?

In the meantime, back on planet Earth, my 1600 is back with me, along with a new thermostat.

spot on Richard, and we sat in the sunshine every day, hope your trip was as enjoyable as ours :thumb

So Richard, can we expect much of the same on the new water cooled GS?

It was suspected that Tom had ordered new winter gloves but they never arrived. Still it was a hardship for the more intrepid of our team to suffer the 23c temperature and vast quantities of "magic beer". The run down into Vianden was stunning and particularly memorable. Also visited Delville and Caterpillar Valley on the way to Bouillon, both with their own story to tell.

Well, since the bike overheated and subsequently had its thermostat replaced, all has been well. Hooned about France, Germany, Austria and northern Italy without once missing a beat.

An odd thing, overheating on a modern bike. I can't remember when I last boiled a vehicle of any sort. It must be years and years ago. But, hey-ho, all is now well.

As a PS to this, the water pump on mine started to drip from the weep hole onto the heat shield. The replacement pump fitted yesterday under warranty has a different part number, for what that is worth. Excellent service as always from CW.

The software update program is now ok to use (it had been problematical for some months and BMW had placed an on-screen warning to dealers not to proceed with updates). My bike had a series of updates applied at the same time and the transmission clunk now seems much less obvious.

A friend of mine had the dreaded bright blue traces of coolant appearing on the exhaust heat shied. He too had the water pump replaced.

Mine has never done it. All that they have done is replace the radiator cap on the 1600 and my 800 (the caps are identical)..... Unless of course they replaced the pump and didn't tell me, hitch is quite possible.

Back
Top Bottom