Commuter and hack

Packer

Appreciating Scotland
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As my 1150 GS now has around 84,000 miles on the clock I am thinking that I should get a more economical smaller bike for my daily commute and keep the 11½ for trips. It did Bilco's Alaska trip without any issues beyond a loose screen bolt, my fault for fitting one that is too short and only caught one or two threads.

I want something economical but interesting and have a short list of three at the moment.

1) Moto Guzzi V7 Stone. I've ridden one and as the fuel light came on at a convenient point I put exactly one gallon (4.55ltrs according to the pump) into it and rode until the light came on again. 58.8 mpg but not the most accurate way of measuring it. The test bike only had 350 miles on it when I started so the engine would still be tight but it felt lively and revved freely with little flywheel effect. The route included the Dukes Pass, tight and very twisty road for 14 miles with the rest being Scottish A roads and motorway from Stirling to Falkirk, ridden at 70-80mph. A very simple little bike, a bit unrefined and the engine felt coarse with some vibration but will it get smoother with miles? Anyone running the previous V7 Classic got experience of how the engine settles down? The bike felt so light, almost like riding a moped:D The rear suspension was brick hard though, no static sag at all and an aching lower back after around 90 miles due to the shocks transmitted from poor roads surfaces. I had no lower back pain from the 11½ on the Alaska trip even with some 500+ mile days. The left header clamp bolts came loose during my ride, fortunately I didn't have earplugs in and heard the exhaust blowing and the clamp plate vibrating so was able to get a local garage to nip up the clamps bolts for me. I wonder if this will be an indicator of the build quality.

2) Honda NC700 X. I've not ridden one yet but the fuel economy looks as though it could be outstanding, maybe as much as 90 mpg if you can be bothered to ride steadily. The faux tank storage is a definite benefit. The ultra skinny back end will mean crap all over the place in wet weather and at least one post on here suggests that a hugger won't improve the situation very much, it needs a rear mudguard worthy of the name. The real downside is that it has a chain and all that entails. A belt would have been a much better bet. I'd expect it to be more refined than the V7 and it feels like a full sized bike.

3) BMW F800ST. A known quantity, can do up to around 80mpg but has more power than the above two bikes and if used will not achieve anything like the same economy. It's a good bike to ride and a different screen plus bar-risers make it a serious long distance contender as well. The standard panniers are garbage and the underseat tank makes it difficult to fit hard panniers without the bike ending up as wide as a small car, not good for filtering. No chain to lube after every wet trip but the BMW unique belt will doubtless cost a small fortune. If it lasts the 35,000 miles I was once quoted by a dealer that isn't too bad but if they break regularly at half that distance it's a different story. Experiences with this or the F800 S?

I'll ride the NC700 and maybe have another go on an F800ST as it's years since I rode one.

the F800st is the sensible choice...if you're 5'9" or less. Any more than that and I think it's too cramped.

Versys

I had one a few years ago went to Florence and back 2.5K miles it was averageing 60mpg.
I've an 1100GS now TBH the verysys would do everything the 1100 will plus its a lot of fun and a fair bit thinner and lighter - not much fun two up though.

don't discount the f 650 gs single ,
it sips fuel ,you can throw it about ,its a fun bike .

The Scarver always looked like a fun thing .....
there supposed to really handle well
around my area (near aberystwyth )i make more progress on my 650 single than i could on the 1150 ,the roads are well suited to it

The Scarver always looked like a fun thing .....

there supposed to really handle well

just bought one for my wife and it's a hoot to ride, loves the twisties.

I used to have an old Funduro but the Scarver handles much better on the road.

it's a bit small for me at 6'3" but that doesn't stop me taking it for a blast when I can :)

So I've been out on the NC700X. A bit of a short run for a real assessment at just 1 hour but the overall impression is of a very well conceived and executed bike. The refinement is unbelievable for the money and makes the little Guzzi V7 seem like a very crude device in comparison.

Virtually no vibration, very quiet and flexible enough to pull from about 2,000 revs in top gear with full throttle. The power delivery pulses a bit at that point but by 2,500 revs it's so smooth that you wouldn't know it's only a twin. One minor issue which you'd soon adapt to is the rev limiter which seems to be all or nothing, it caught me out on an overtake but a clutchless up change was like a knife through butter and it was soon pulling again. The rev limit is 6,500 and you don't get any more:)

You need spanners to make adjustments to the rear suspension and there is no adjustment on the front but for the money what can you expect? The rear is far, far better than the V7 in any case. Additionally on the V7 you'd have to adjust and balance two shocks.

Handling wise it just was much more confidence inspiring than the V7 which felt light and flighty with the rear suspension being so hard that I was expecting to have the back kick out over every bump. Not so the NC which tracked pretty well over bumps. The V7 weighs in at 179 Kgs according to Guzzi and the NC according to Honda has a kerb weight of 218 Kgs. It doesn't feel that heavy and if I was told that included a full tank of fuel I'd believe it. It's a big difference and makes the fuel economy of the NC even more remarkable. Both bikes have limited steering lock compared to the 1150GS, in fact I nearly dropped the V7 in a carpark as it hit the steering stop far sooner than I expected, only a quick handful of throttle saved the day. I was ready for it on the NC.

Other things, the NC screen took almost all the wind blast off my body whilst leaving my head in clear air, impressive for a tiny screen (on the highest setting. No buffeting. The faux tank storage holds my size large HJC IS16 which has raised air vents on the top, just. The display doesn't appear to have a fuel consumption readout which would be a fun toy for this bike, just idiot lights, digital speedo, analogue rev counter, clock, fuel gauge, odometer and trip. There is a tiny storage area under the pillion seat. It may hold a Mars bar or perhaps even two.

So what do I not like? The chain drive. The rev band seems smaller than the 1150, I guess the lower power output requires lower gearing and therefore a smaller spread of speed as well when you come to overtake. The mudguards are inadequate, the front would definitely need an extender but what to do at the back where there is no mudguard as such? Winter commuting will mean that the rider will be coated with crap down their back. Maybe a custom pannier set supporting a mudguard between them:nenau

I'll still ride the ST again but my thoughts at the moment are that for the money the NC is truly remarkable. NC700X = £5850; Guzzi V7 Stone £6499; BMW F800ST £7,500 the latter two without the ABS that is standard on the Honda.

I really wanted to like the V7 and in isolation, with a couple of simple fixes like the rear suspension, it's a great little bike. When compared to the refinement of the Honda (and £650 left in your pocket) it just seems uncompetitive. The fact that the Honda ran like clockwork and the Guzzi kept stalling at junctions only confirms my assessment. I doubt that the ST will win me over when it will cost an additional £1650, less years of chain lube purchase.

Back
Top Bottom