How to clean a Kalahari Yellow 1100

MATKAT

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As I am now the proud owner of an imported (1998) 1100gs with technoflex suspension etc I need to clean it. I believe under the crud is a very good condition bike. Suggestions please to clean wheels, front cover etc without to much elbow grease. All suggestions welcome , where is Tarka !!!:D

Life's too short. Just ride and enjoy. Top bike - in the fastest colour by the way :thumb2

Fred......why should it be any different to clean than any other bike :nenau

Just tell Sue to get her pinny on :thumb2

Muc Off is good don't leave it on too long. Elbow grease and decent car shampoo is the best bet with one of those alloy wheel cleaning brushes.

Well done on buying the best bike BMW have ever made. In the very best colour.

Muc Off is good but do it in sections as it can cloud alloys if you leave it on too long. Take the alloy sump guard off (before you clean the bike) and give that a good wash out as it tends to catch and hold mud.

Alternatively, my preferred choice is just to say "sod that" and ride it. I did clean it once just after I bought it - about 12,000 miles ago in April. That's April this year. It's much more fun to ride than clean and has seen most of western Europe in the last few months. I'll be heading off to Italy in a few weeks for some MotoGP/Stelvio/Route Napoleon stuff.

Make sure the battery is good, change the oils and get out there. I love mine to bits.

Great bike :thumb I think it is okay to clean it when you buy it, but threreafter just ride :D

Kalahari clean

Thanks for the advice chaps:D
As a GSER since 1982, I have had plenty of 'em where I just don't clean and ride. This one is under the crud, at 80k miles nicely run in, and I know underneath is a pretty well above avaerage 1998 Italian import bike .
Reason it needs to be clean as it is almost certainly going to get sold and so many newbies need nice clean bikes, so i'm going to make it look pretty (as well as the GSA, which is also going) :eek:
I will put a few pic's up of before and after, just so you can score me, mind i've never been one for cleaning:thumb

1100 grubby pics

Here are some pic's after just a pressure wash:eek:. The wheels will come up fine, just one bad scabby bit on front cover:blast, some plastic discolouration:blagblah. Runs really sweet, if only the clutch was not slipping when you give it a hard squirt:thumb:blagblah
Oh, and if you think your going to pinch the number plate, it's already being swapped for one a little more interesting I have:D

Attachments

• 1100 nearside teleever front cover.jpg
    1100 nearside teleever front cover.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 1100 front near.jpg
    1100 front near.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 302
  • 1100 offside cuylinder.jpg
    1100 offside cuylinder.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 357
  • 1100 Verns.jpg
    1100 Verns.jpg