Poor factory support

Bones

Reaction score
Had a beer with a mate who has just returned from Europe on his 800 XC. Whilst in Croatia two spokes on the rear wheel broke. He was two up with luggage. No Triumph dealer nearby so put bike in local Aprilia dealer. Called Triumph who didn't want to know and offered no help! Ordered two spokes from UK, continued holiday in hire car. Returned to dealer 8 days later and the spokes had not arrived. They had to head for home that day so the dealer did a temp repair with spokes from another model. He wasn't 100% with the fix so did some of the trip home on Motorail. The spokes eventually arrived a the dealer in Croatia 6 weeks after they had been ordered.

Triumph basically blamed him for the problem pointing out that in the owner manual it states that spokes should be checked daily. Gace him two free spokes out of goodwill.

Triumph manage to generate some patchy reports of customer service. He'd have probably been better off to contact his dealer. Even if they didn't have the spokes in stock they could have possibly taken them off another bike (given the urgency) and ordered replacements.

IIRC the Triumph handbook says you have to wash the bike after every ride or they won't be responsible for any deterioration in the finish.

I’ve posted this before, so won’t go on and on, but Triumph dealers are the worst that I have ever had to deal with in forty odd years of biking.

Recently I spoke to a Triumph dealer, who’s interpretation of the ‘Triple R’ service schedule, was completely at odds to info’ given to me ten minutes earlier by the factory technical department, and indeed outlined in the owners’ handbook.

The one good thing about Triumph is that you CAN ring the factory, but the dealers (IME) are crap.

Best dealers I’ve ever used?.....You won’t like it..... but it’s BMW......Jefferies/Rainbow in particular.......:clap

Are they (Triumph) unaware of the internet and forums?

I’ve posted this before, so won’t go on and on, but Triumph dealers are the worst that I have ever had to deal with in forty odd years of biking.

Recently I spoke to a Triumph dealer, who’s interpretation of the ‘Triple R’ service schedule, was completely at odds to info’ given to me ten minutes earlier by the factory technical department, and indeed outlined in the owners’ handbook.

The one good thing about Triumph is that you CAN ring the factory, but the dealers (IME) are crap.

Best dealers I’ve ever used?.....You won’t like it..... but it’s BMW......Jefferies/Rainbow in particular.......:clap

Exactly the reason for my defecting from Triumph to BMW. I loved the Tiger 955i but the local Triumph dealers couldn't even adjust a chain properly :( . My preferred dealer is now Balderstons in Pbro. I can go in there and be insulted by real professionals and know that my bike will be properly looked after :thumb2

I think you find good and bad dealers everywhere. I can't speak highly enough of the guys I use, J S GEDGE in Hastings. I'd put them at the top of my list of motorcycle dealers. Then again they are the oldest motorcycle dealers in the UK I'm told so they probably have a pretty good idea about how to run a business.

No surprise really. Triumph do not have a good reputation for post sales and are always all too ready to blame the customer for problems. Their handbooks appear to be littered with opportunities to disclaim responsibility - check the spokes everyday FFS! :blast Who can predict when a spoke is going to fail, they may appear fine on a quick inspection by an unqualified wheel technician but then fail shortly afterwards.

As for the one about washing the bike after every ride to preserve the warranty on the finish - just another get out clause for their factory warranty department.

I would like to buy a Triumph one day but I have not intention of doing so until their post sales/warranty policies are radically overhauled. :mad:

Calling Bob Southgate:augie

No surprise really. Triumph do not have a good reputation for post sales and are always all too ready to blame the customer for problems. Their handbooks appear to be littered with opportunities to disclaim responsibility - check the spokes everyday FFS! :blast Who can predict when a spoke is going to fail, they may appear fine on a quick inspection by an unqualified wheel technician but then fail shortly afterwards.

As for the one about washing the bike after every ride to preserve the warranty on the finish - just another get out clause for their factory warranty department.

I would like to buy a Triumph one day but I have not intention of doing so until their post sales/warranty policies are radically overhauled. :mad:

Calling Bob Southgate:augie
I think their requirements to maintain the warranty are ridiculous and completely unenforcable anyway, spokes break 'sir did you check the spokes before you rode today?' yes i did. Have you washed it after every ride, yes i have with triumph approved products and my wife and and riding mate/next door neighbour watched me do it, any more questions, no, good. Now fix it.

You forgot to mention that Triumph branded clothing needs to be fitted by a factory trained person
Does this "factory trained person" come around each time you get dressed? :nenau

Oh great

Picking up a new Triumph Street Triple R tomorrow :blast

:D

Oh great

Picking up a new Triumph Street Triple R tomorrow :blast

:D

See that you live in Yorkshire......:clap

Not wishing to cast aspersions or anything, and not mentioning any particular dealer by name, but if you're buying that from an A1 dealer in YORKshire :)augie) then beware of their grasp of the service schedule.....;)

Very very nice 'bike though......:thumb2

Triumph dealer near me said fitting a scottoiler to a triumph invalidates the warranty :nenau

And no - it wasn't cos it was a shaft drive model :D

See that you live in Yorkshire......:clap

Not wishing to cast aspersions or anything, and not mentioning any particular dealer by name, but if you're buying that from an A1 dealer in YORKshire :)augie) then beware of their grasp of the service schedule.....;)

Very very nice 'bike though......:thumb2

Nah, not buying from A1 but would of used them for servicing....having second thoughts now though !!

Had a beer with a mate who has just returned from Europe on his 800 XC. Whilst in Croatia two spokes on the rear wheel broke. He was two up with luggage. No Triumph dealer nearby so put bike in local Aprilia dealer. Called Triumph who didn't want to know and offered no help! Ordered two spokes from UK, continued holiday in hire car. Returned to dealer 8 days later and the spokes had not arrived. They had to head for home that day so the dealer did a temp repair with spokes from another model. He wasn't 100% with the fix so did some of the trip home on Motorail. The spokes eventually arrived a the dealer in Croatia 6 weeks after they had been ordered.

Triumph basically blamed him for the problem pointing out that in the owner manual it states that spokes should be checked daily. Gace him two free spokes out of goodwill.

I fail to see the logic in that statement.:nenau Your mate could have told Triumph that after doing his "daily" spoke check, he found two of them were broken and he would like them replaced under the terms of the warranty agreement.

I fail to see the logic in that statement.:nenau Your mate could have told Triumph that after doing his "daily" spoke check, he found two of them were broken and he would like them replaced under the terms of the warranty agreement.

You make a valid point :augie

Back
Top Bottom