Help - advice needed - prob with 1150gs in Andermatt

goosenet

Reaction score
Hya,

I have just stopped in Andermatt, and noticed that oil has dripped from the boot near the final drive shaft it has dropped oil onto the wheel whilst it has been at rest on the side stand ... I need some advice .. WHat oil .. what is the potential ... I'd leave my mobile number but didn't think it was a good idea..

Thanks for any help

Mike

Oil is 80w90 GL5. Can get in Halfords (which is zero use now that I've looked up where Aldermatt is).

Can't say what the issue is though.

Maybe coincedence but mine did it in the mountains tooo
It was red hot and I had been riding bristly
I wiped it all up and monitered it
It was either
I had put too much in
I had put the wrong grade in GL5 is needed
Either way it stopped later on and didnt apper again
checked and changed oil on return - only a tadge down on amount
still running with the same seals etc 7000 later - watch um piss out termorra
Good luck ride as safe as yer have tooooooooooooooooo :thumb2

Starting to get a weep on mine in wet conditions. But the levels are all good.

Annoying more than anything. Its not obvious where its coming from.

If it's just a little you could ignore it (I did several years ago and everything is still going fine). I had maybe a teaspoon or two of oil inside the rubber boot, never did figure out whether it was gearbox of final drive (both still had plenty of oil in them). I suspect the final drive seal can weep a bit of oil back into the shaft under some conditions, without the seal actually failing?

A small amount of oil weepage is normal on some bikes - I'd check the fd level and not worry if it seems ok.

Any 80w90 or straight 90 GL5 oil is fine - it's the GL5 grade that's the important bit - don't use GL4.

Based on a similar experience in Lake Garda I'd wash the oil off and see if it came back.

In my case there was no further seepage. I can only assume some oil escaped past a seal in the extreme heat of Italy - it was well into the 30s at the time.

Many Thanks ...

Hya,

Thank you very much for your knowledgeable words of wisdom Those words of wisdom made me put the prob to the back of my mind and get on with the adventure ... did another 1700 miles with a mild dribble sometimes under heavy loading .. But the bike and I are back home as of tonight ...

Once again many thanks ..

Mike

Back
Top Bottom