H T Lead. shorting

Colin

Reaction score
when my 2003 R850R is ticking over, theres a intermitant cracking noise from left pot. removed the plastic cover strip over the lead in the head and you can see sparks jumping about inside the spark plug tunnel.
Is the only cure a new plug lead? or is there a mod/bodge.

Wee on it when the engine's running.

waste of time

Temporary bodge lots of insulating tape ( a couple of layers at least ) wound up and down the length of it
As another correspondant suggested, you might as well piss on it.
Remember that, at tickover, the cylinders are probably below atmospheric pressure at the point of ignition, so the spark has an easy line if least resistance through the plug, and the spark is still jumping from the outside of the lead to ground.
When you open the throttle and apply a load to the engine, the cylinders pressure is now probably around 7 - 10 bars above atmospheric pressure, so the previous line of least resistance is now a very difficult path for the spark to jump.
What this means is that, if it jumps occasionally to ground at tickover, it will
jump continually when the engine is under load.
Don't pussy about, replace the lead.
Unless, however, the plugs have over 60,000 miles on them, in which case, replace them first.
Myke

ht leads

You sound like the sort of bloke who doesn't even like letting the air out of his tyres. :D

at £47 each. you need to know you are doing the right thing.
is it possible to remove the ends and replace the leads with some better quality copper core lead?

As Myke says replacing is the answer, if it's sparking at tickover then it's goosed maybe split maybe full of moisture So cleaning and drying it and taping it up with a few layers and making sure it's clicked on properly should reduce the sparking

If Shekels are tight as they are with a lot of us why not ask if they have a good used one £20 ish ? @ Motorworks, Motobins, James Sherlock and I am sure there are others

I thought you were just looking a quick fix to get home

miss

bought a new pair of plug leads today from Motorworks, should be with me in the morning. gone are the days of going to Halfords and buying a pair.
everything has got stick coils these days. that's progress for you.
bring back carburettors & points. he he.
I didn't piss on it as I didn't fancy 20.000 volts up me firemans helmet.

Back
Top Bottom