gear indicator buggered

ben south

Reaction score
Hi, the gear indicator on my 2004 1150 gsa has been playing up for 4 years,but now has given up altogether.
the neutral light has gone
the fuel injection will prime only when the side stand is up,
it will only start with the clutch pulled in .
i can live without the neutral light and the gear indicator,but i am going abroad for a couple of months and i dont want it to let me down.
i was not going to replace the switch untill i needed to do some work on the clutch or final drive.
has anyone got any idea if it will cause any problems?
cheers
ben

The neutral switch and gear indicator switch are separate, Never even seen mine, I believe they are both awkward but possible without serious dismantling, as long as you have 9" fingers :thumb

On an 1150 the neutral and gear indicator switches are combined. The unit fits to the back of the gearbox behind the swing arm. As far as I'm aware it's impossible to change it without removing the swingarm (certainly is on my 1100 anyway).

I've read of people running with a dodgy switch for years but as you've realised, it buggers up the starting 'logic' and the bike thinks it's in gear (hence having to start with the clutch pulled in).

I can't see it would make it any more likely that the bike would let you down but if it were me, I'd probably change it (and do the paralever bearings while I was at it).

The switch is completely benign in that it's input is earth and it outputs earths. You have lost the earth to the neutral switch. Which is why you have the symptoms that you've got. If you unplugged the switch you would get exactly the same symptoms.

The second interlock (clutch switch) is fine, though if this fails you would have a problem. Both provide parallel earth paths to the starter relay. You've lost one, if you lost the other you would have to set up a jumper wire, or bump start the bike.

On an 1150 the neutral and gear indicator switches are combined. The unit fits to the back of the gearbox behind the swing arm. As far as I'm aware it's impossible to change it without removing the swingarm (certainly is on my 1100 anyway).

It's fairly simple to change on an 1150 -nothing needs to be removed at the switch end . Long nosed pliers, squeeze in the two retaining clips and the switch can be pulled off.
But the other end of the plug under the fuel tank is a pain in the arse. :D

To replace the gear indicator switch, use a cable tie to hold the retaining clips back in place, push the switch back into place and cut the cable tie.

It's fairly simple to change on an 1150 -nothing needs to be removed at the switch end . Long nosed pliers, squeeze in the two retaining clips and the switch can be pulled off.

To replace the gear indicator switch, use a cable tie to hold the retaining clips back in place, push the switch back into place and cut the cable tie.

As is often the case :rolleyes: I stand corrected :thumb2

Thanks everyone for the info,i was thinking i had to remove the swingarm
cheers,
Ben

Is the 1100 the same, or is that the one that's a right bugger?

Is the 1100 the same, or is that the one that's a right bugger?

The 1100 is indeed a right bugger - you need to remove the swingarm to get to it (a fairly comprehensive dismantling exercise). When I had the swingarm off my 1100 I gave the (fully working but 15 year old) switch a stern looking at and didn't change it. I hope I don't live to regret this :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom