Advice Please re; Historical must see sites, must se scenary

itspilsbury

Reaction score
Hi all,

Last year I led my first motorcycle trip around part of northern Spain. To prepare I researched this site in some depth. My routes were provided by a friend who had visited this area a few times.
Without exception this was the most scenic motorcycle trip I had ever been on (the weather also helped!).

Anyway it was so good that next year I have decided to do it again, with a slightly larger group (was 6 next year 10). I intend doing the same routes but in reverse and have put in a couple of deviations hoping that I am not not going to make it worse.

Every day was different, one day it was like riding through Monument Valley, another was mountain roads through pine forests, another was mountain roads with huge round boulders everywhere, it was awesome.

What I would like please, is any of you guys that have visited these locations some recommendations of nearby historical sites well worth a visit, for example I picked up from another thread the other day Iglesia de la Vera Cruz, a church worth visiting near to Segovia, so have planned that into my itinerary for people to visit if they wish.

My 'current intended' route (which might yet change slightly (but not a lot)
is :

Day 1 : Arrive Santander and ride to Arroyo - sleep 1 night.

Day 2 : Ride Arroyo to San Millán de la Cogolla - sleep 2 nights. (I believe there are monastries nearby - worth a visit ? dunno?)

Day 4 : Ride San Millán de la Cogolla to Segovia - sleep 2 nights (aquaduct and Iglesia de la Vera Cruz and anywhere else ????)

Day 6 : Ride Segovia to Avila - sleep 2 nights. (Old walled city - owt else ???)

Day 8 : Ride Avila to Cervera de Pisuerga - sleep 1 night. (dont know of anything to see if we are there early enough - 175 miles - could stop earlier on the route I guess)

Day 9 : Ride Cervera de Pisuerga to near Bilbao - sleep 1 night.

Day 10 : to Bilbao ferry terminal.

So any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Ian

:):):)

Pick up a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to Spain / the area. It will have all you want and more.

Failing that the Lonely Planet / Rough Guide should do you well.

The viaMichelin website often pops up with hotel suggestions, 10 things to see etc. etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom