running very rich

tee bee

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My g650 was running very rich for a while, it had new plugs and a clean filter, so i disconnected both the airbox and co2 sensors, that made a bit of difference, so i reconnected the airbox sensor,just leaving the co2 one disconnected. It does seem a bit down on power now.
Its still using more fuel than it used to, does anyone have any ideas ?,
Does the co2 sensor cause problems on these bikes ?

The valves were checked at 30,00mls and were fine, the bike starts and runs well and doesn,t use any oil.

Its now on 50,000mls.

My g650 was running very rich for a while, it had new plugs and a clean filter, so i disconnected both the airbox and co2 sensors, that made a bit of difference, so i reconnected the airbox sensor,just leaving the co2 one disconnected. It does seem a bit down on power now.
Its still using more fuel than it used to, does anyone have any ideas ?,
Does the co2 sensor cause problems on these bikes ?

The valves were checked at 30,00mls and were fine, the bike starts and runs well and doesn,t use any oil.

Its now on 50,000mls.

I assume you are disconnecting the O2 sensor on the header pipe? the O2 or lambda sensors in fuel injection vehicle send a message to inform the ECU when the bike is running rich or lean. I have not heard of any going before on the GX bikes but yours is higher miles than most and they are considered a consumable part on modern cars. It is likely that this is your problem however other issues can cause problems with FI. On other vehicles, I have known weak batteries and dirty/corroded connectors to affect the signal received by the ECU but I doubt this is your problem as I understand that the GX bikes run slightly lean when the battery is weak.

As much as I like to carry out my own maintenance, this might be a time to consult the professionals. Your local bmw dealer will be able to hook the bike up their diagnostic computer and read any stored fault codes and confirm a diagnosis which may well cost less than replacing parts which are in working order.

Thanks rossi, i think a visit to the dealer is probably the most cost effective option,even though i hate the idea.....

Mine runs perfectly with the lambda removed. 20k on the clock still get 60-70 mpg depending on use and sprocket.

yes it was the lamb sensor,bought one secondhand from germany, seems they meteorite with bad fuel and mileage.
I think bmw use the same one for nearly all their models.

Back
Top Bottom