Help-Misfire, stuck on Isle of Man

clivewhilde

Reaction score
2002 1150GS single spark running fine until I hit rain coming off the ferry and riding to Ramsay. It will rev to about 3K but then starts to fluff. It sounds like the throttle cable is un-seated but it's not. I've had the plugs out and sprayed all the connections with WD40. I have a TPS with me and have swapped that but no difference. I've even checked the throttle bodies for water ingress but they're dry. It's done it once before in heavy rain but it cleared after a couple of hours in the dry. It's been in a garage overnight and sat in the sun all day but still won't play.

I have limited tools and spares with me. Anybody have any helpful ideas?

Thanks

Faulty coil or HT lead will give that symptom on a single spark.

Best thing is post in the pub quite a few peeps on here live on Mann who may help :thumb
:beerjug:

Thanks Lads, The plugs and HT leads are less than a year old and 1000miles. All was fine til I hit the rain!!! Gonna head in to castletown tomorrow to the Beemer dealer to see what can be done. Meanwhile the pub was the best suggestion, heading there now!
Thanks again for the quick responses.

Misfire Persists

OK, one last post before it goes in the van to a professional and I take out a 2nd mortgage.
2002 single spark GS which starts and ticks over but won't rev properly over 3K without coughing and spluttering.
Before anyone says owt, throttle cables are correctly seated.
It did it once before in the rain and it cleared after a couple of hours and a dousing in WD40. Happened again in the rain but has not cleared this time.
I have replaced the plugs and the leads and this afternoon the ignition coil. No change. The Hall Effect Sensor is new, it did not need it but I had a problem last year where the bike wouldn't start at all, turned out to be the Power Commander.
I have shorted out the Power Commander (How I found the fault last time) and the problem persists.
I have removed the side stand switch and shorted that out too, no joy.
I could change the HES again for the original but not sure this is the problem.......
Any bright sparks out there with things I can double check and/or replace?
Ta
Clive
:confused:

Any bright sparks out there with things I can double check and/or replace?
Ta
Clive
:confused:

You could check that your fuel injectors are giving a decent output pattern but then again they should not be affected by weather. :nenau

Since it's a weather related problem then why not try replicating the weather in small doses around the bike one part at a time? It may tell you where to start. :thumb2

You could check that your fuel injectors are giving a decent output pattern but then again they should not be affected by weather. :nenau

Since it's a weather related problem then why not try replicating the weather in small doses around the bike one part at a time? It may tell you where to start. :thumb2

Hi Ditchwater, the problem was brought on in the rain but this time has not disapeared so dousing in it water won't help I'm afraid, apart from giving it a bit of a wash!
Ta

Okay. If you are happy with the electrical side of the combustion system then consider the fuelling: When was the fuel pump last changed? Mine failed somewhere in the 40K miles and went very quickly but yours could be running out of health when asked to do its job.
This is quite an inconvenient job to undertake but may be worth considering when the easy stuff has been covered.

I presume valve clearances, throttle body balancing and TPS are correct: With this done you can can move on rest assured that the problem is NOT related to something fundamental.

Why would wet affect fuelling ???

Run it in the dark is the best idea .... as said ... I would bet HT breaking down somewhere ... sparks find it hard to hide at night !!

Sounds like a fuel supply issue to me. Could be a clogged filter, or maybe there is water contamination in the fuel tank?
ATB.

2002 1150GS single spark running fine until I hit rain coming off the ferry and riding to Ramsay. It will rev to about 3K but then starts to fluff. It sounds like the throttle cable is un-seated but it's not. I've had the plugs out and sprayed all the connections with WD40. I have a TPS with me and have swapped that but no difference. I've even checked the throttle bodies for water ingress but they're dry. It's done it once before in heavy rain but it cleared after a couple of hours in the dry. It's been in a garage overnight and sat in the sun all day but still won't play.

I have limited tools and spares with me. Anybody have any helpful ideas?

Thanks

have you a contact number

Thanks!

Degsy, I'm home now but thanks!
I'll try running it in the dark next time I'm home.
I have a spare TPS I can try.
Thanks all.
I'll post progress.

Deffo change back hes as test. Fuel tank neck drain blocked, water in tank?

Just remembered - changed the TPS whilst on the IOM and there was no difference.

OK, no arcing in the dark and swapped with spare TPS and all still the same........ off to BMW me thinks.

Back
Top Bottom