1150 Top Box....a warning

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I bought my first new GS it was an 1100 back in 1998. I had it equipped with a BMW top box. After about 5k, whilst on a back road near Kettlewell, Yorkshire, the box came off. When I picked it up it was still locked and a total mystery as to why it had come off. Put it back on the bike it was secure.

I reported this to the dealer and I received a new rack and box under warranty.

In 2002 I trade my 11 for an 1150 and transferred the rack and box. Today with the replacement rack and box having travelled about 70k miles it came off in the Trough of Bowland....again a bumpy country road. Like the first time, I had ridden about 35 mikes before it the box decided it was sick of my company. When I retrieved the box it was still locked, and when put back on the bike for the ride home, it seemed secure.

On arriving home I decided to investigate further. I found that with the box locked if I pulled quite hard on the locking latch where the box attaches to the rack and wiggled the box around I could remove the box from the rack without unlocking it.:eek::eek::eek:

If you have a BMW system top box on your GS......check it!

Obviously the box is damaged, but is still usable. I think, however, I'll replace it with a Givi.

Mike

Ah, the joys of quick release, I hear the same story every week. If it can go on quick, and come off quick, something somewhere is going to wear out and come loose, and after that, there is only one outcome.

Ah, the joys of quick release, I hear the same story every week. If it can go on quick, and come off quick, something somewhere is going to wear out and come loose, and after that, there is only one outcome.

What would you suggest then Vern? :augie

I used to have a system topbox as well :augie no idea where it is now :nenau

Top boxes

I have used Civi's for years never a problem even on some VERY bumpy roads in Canada where on TT pannier came off but Givi dident move.

Look at the condition of most BMW system top boxes, they will usually have some evidence of unscheduled departures. Mine both did but Givi's have never even when taking the force of a lay down :thumb

A Givi is pretty much the first thing that is added to my GS's - I'm no fan of top boxes but they are both necessary and convenient for work.

Back
Top Bottom