East Sussex owners: Old Coach Road

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
After having spent upwards of £50,000 upgrading the surface of the ancient Old Coach Road that runs parallel to the A27 from West Firle to Berwick, East Sussex Council Council now intends applying for a Traffic Regulation Order prohibiting bikes (and cars) from this excellent byway.

Background info
Nov 2002 decision not to apply for TRO
Subsequent 2003 survey

In order for your views to be taken into account, please email janet.russell@eastsussex.gov.uk asking to be consulted on the proposed TRO order for the Old Coach Road, Firle to Alfriston.

Tim

Oh yes, where is it?

old-coach-road.gif

It runs parallel to the Lewis-Eastbourne A27. Coming from the west, go past Lewis, over the Beddingham rail crossing and the A26 junction. Then turn right for Firle Bostal. In Firle go straight on for the bostal and the old road is on your left.

Most of the four-mile length is OK, but the section from Berwick to Alfriston is impassible in wet weather, in which case turn left and come out by the Cricketers Arms in Berwick.

Tim

but the section from Berwick to Alfriston is impassible in wet weather,

Tim [/B]

Unfortunately no-one told me the last bit was impassable so I have done it a few times when it has been muddy. I just thought I was crap and had the wrong tyres.

I am e-mailing the Council now.:shout

.have sent email . i have only just discovered thi s track dont want to lose it already ,perhaps local lads should meet for a play then breakfast at wessons.?

I've been researching other BOATs in the area, marked them up on a large-scale map and have done exploratory excursions on some. I'm trying to locate the Alfriston to Jevington part of the Old Coach Road--I've found a byway section near Milton Street and it looks like it then goes over Windover Hill (above the Long Man).

Impassible might be a bit strong but I'm reluctant to go too deep down a muddy bog by myself in case the bike topples on me! So yes, would love a play with locals.

Tim

Yep I am up for a bit of "downs and dirty"
:weights Just off to the gym to practise picking the thing up again.

Just fitted some TKC 80s today so I am ready for anything. (except Mud, wet chalk, flint, broken bricks deep ruts, steep bits etc etc)
Going to try out the coach road first thing tomorrow (Saturday) :D

Pity I didn't see your post--I was out playing on the road around noon today. How did you get on?

The ground dried out enough for me to finally get through the muddy section a couple of days ago, some pics below.

coach-37.jpg

coach-39.jpg

coach-40.jpg

coach-42.jpg

coach-53.jpg

This and the one below are of the muddy section which only lasts about 80 metres.

coach-55.jpg

The problem is that the gulleys are so deep that the pegs scrape on both sides.

Tim

sounds good will give you a bell will probably go to wessons first for breakfast will need energy i got well stuck during the week going over field had to drag bike round took me 20minutes i was knackered see you later .:hide

good pics this really was a good day , nice to meet local boys who arent scared to get dirty will have to sort out some other lanes. chalk pit at lewes is good bit hard to get into but worth it when you do tim you will have to show me how to post photos:bounce1

Let me know if organising opposition to potential closure

Hi,

I just moved to Brighton with my new GS and would be gutted if these lanes were closed before I get a chance to ride some of them. I would be interested in getting involved in helping keep them open.

If there are any riders who still fancy a ride out during the winter I am up for it as long as it is not snowing. Offroading maybe can wait till spring though.

Nik

Hi Nick

Looks like we're building up quite a little 'Costa del Sud' riding community here. Myself, Defor and Shrek are in Eastbourne, and Wildbeeste is in Hove. We try to get out every weekend so long as the weather is reasonable (details posted in South East forum). My mobile is 07976 683999.

The letter about the proposed TRO is here

The form to register an objection is here (must respond by Mon 20 December)

Cheers
Tim

I've only cycled down there on my mountain bike, had no idea one could take a motorcycle there too...shall have to have a go once I feel brave enough. ;)

I live in Lewes.

Jane

this is good lots of local gsers popping out of woodwork , this road is quite easy ( grounds quite soft we me tim and steve have all tried it out for comfort ) so if anyone wants to try let us know and we can organise a little foray .:moped:

Tim,
If the horses had not been down there the muddy section would not have been so bad, look how they have chopped the middle bit up:(

You guys in Sussex must get organised and start protesting about this possible closure, perhaps the local TRF can advise.
Trail riding/Green laning is constantly being targeted as an anti-social pastime, and things will get worse.
what pisses me off is that we are having our rights steadily eroded on the pretext that it will enable other people to enjoy their pastime, but at our expense. Why is their enjoyment more important than ours?
Walkers (I'm a keen fell walker) have access to 100% of all unsurfaced tracks, paths etc; Horse riders and mountain bikers have access to a huge percentage of bridleways and byways, but if you've a trail bike or a 4x4 you have access to only about 5% of these unsurfaced tracks. In over 30 years of hill walking I have hardly seen any motorised use of these tracks, in comparison to the scores of times I've seen groups of mountain bikers out, many of them illegally on footpaths. Many friends and colleagues who walk in the countryside state they they have more of a problem with mountain bikes (some of them in large groups and often charging downhill barely in control) than motorised vehicles.
My mum lives in Sussex so I'll write a letter of objection to the council about the TRO.

Back
Top Bottom