Proper K-Series

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The proper K-Series can be separated from the later, so-called, K bikes by the engine layout.

The K in the name comes from the German "Kompact" as in compact-drive. As the name suggests, the longitudinal layout was chosen as a means to keep things as small as possible.

To that end, the engine which began life as a Peugeot unit designed for a small car, was turned on its side so that the crankshaft was in line with the driveshaft.

This had the benefit of being both a means to keep the weight low down and for BMW, to be different enough from other multi-cylinder, water-cooled bikes and maintain their reputation for quirkiness.

Another benefit was the access to the oily bits. Naked and semi-faired K-Bricks allow you to get at the "top" and "bottom" ends without taking anything but the covers off. You can withdraw the pistons without even draining the sump.

Another feature is the lack of a flywheel. This is a mass and weight saving idea.

As the Bricks aged, they became more complex; ABS, Paralever and ultimately new frames and Telelever. The simplicity was still there but you have to dig through a lot of stuff to get at things.

I'm not sure what the later, across the frame, K bikes should have been named but K-Series, in the Kompact-Drive sense, they are not.

I guess that means I've got the equivalent of an airhead without the inconvenience of having to smell of wee :JB

I have assumed the "Flying Brick" nickname is due to this engine layout and its resemblance to that particular household item.

Back
Top Bottom