Riding the West Coast next week

chibrew

Reaction score
I'll be in Ireland next week 9/20 from Chicago and plan to ride from Dublin to Galway and up around Connemara and the Burren. Any recommendations are appreciated. I will be riding west on Thursday and have Friday to tour. I will likely spend either Thursday or Friday night in Cong. Saturday I am heading to Ennis for a wedding. If anyone want to meet and ride on Thursday afternoon or Friday, send me a PM or a way to reach you.

I am renting an 1150GS from CelticRider and bringing my gear from home. Any recommendations for this time of year? I have a heated vest and gloves, but not sure if I need them. My jacket and pants are waterproof, but I'm wondering what to expect with wind, etc.

I'm planning on getting a pay as you go mobile once I land for local calls. Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike
If you are dropping south after the wedding I'm in the kingdom of Kerry & might be in a position to point you to a few good spots.
With regard to phones you need to ask a teenager & I don't qualify there.

Not that cold at the moment. Im riding without my thermal layers at the minute. Connemara and mayo are beautifull at any time of the year.
From galway head north along coast to clifden, lovely bays and beaches round here. On north to leenane, where the film 'the field' was filmed. Keep on hugging the coast all the way round to sligo if you have time, these roads were made for the gs.
Check out the discover ireland websites for local attractions in all the places you plan to pass through.
I,m sure someone with more local knowledge will be along to give better tips than me.
Enjoy your trip

Jack

You will certainly need waterproofs.
Spent the last week on a trip around the country - and got all kinds of weather, each day.
Should not really need heated vest if your jacket is waterproof - but possibly worth taking.

Was only briefly in Burren this time - Round Tower on edge of it, south of Gort.
CIMG1814.JPG
You cannot go wrong in Connemara or The Burren.

Met two riders in Ardara - the Yellow 1150 GS was hired from Celtic Rider.
CIMG1768.JPG
Enjoy it.

From galway head north along coast to clifden, lovely bays and beaches round here. On north to leenane, where the film 'the field' was filmed.
+1
One of my favourite parts of the country :thumb2

Mike,
If you've time avoid the motorway west. It's boring as feck !

I'd recommend either Enfield, Edenderry, Tulla, across the bog @ Boora & across the Shannon @ Shannonbridge, Ballinasloe, then the R348 (a crackin' GS road) to Athenry & Cong for the night.

Or Prosperous, Portarlington, Rosenallis, across the Slieve Blooms to Kinnity, Shannonbridge and then carry on as above.

Both routes are about 4 hours but factor in photo & food/tea stops & you'll fill most of your day.

On Friday I'd recommend heading from Cong to Finny, around Lough Nafooey & down to Maam, Maam Cross (a stunning piece of road) and then you could head to the coast at Carna, Roundstone & Clifden (don't miss the Sky Road !) then Leenane.

Definitely visit Aasleagh Falls, about 4km north on the Erriff river. From there you could do the north coast of Killary Harbour & head towards Louisburgh through Doo Lough Pass. Carrying on to Louisburgh & Westport, etc is probably bringing you too far north given the time you have so I'd turn around at Doo Lough & take the left turn (signposted for Sheeffrey Wood from memory) to Carrowkennedy & then right on the N59 back to Leenane. From there you could head back through Maam Cross to Galway or divert slightly & go Leenane - Recess - Maam Cross.

There's no easy way south other than through Galway but it shouldn't be too bad. Once you get to Kilcolgan turn right to Kinvara & Ballyvaughan (great seafood in Monks at the pier !) After that there's several routes but around Black Head to Fanore, Doolin & Lahinch gives you both the sea on your right & the Burren on your left. Other routes (B'Vaughan / Lisdoonvarna / Ennistymon for example) are also worth considering if you've had enough coastline.

There's no shortages of B&B's around the Burren if you wanted to stop & leave yourself a handy run into Ennis on the Satuday. Or get up early & head to Kilkee & Loop Head before heading to Ennis.

Saturday works out at at 6+ hours riding but you'll definitely want to stop for photos & more tea so it'll be a fairly full day.

A couple of 'words to the wise' -
Allow more time for travelling. Irish roads are much slower than yours, particularly minor roads ;)
There's still corn being cut so you're likely to encounter tractors & combines on country roads. Agricultural trailers NEVER have brake lights or indicators. And they carry mud from the field a considerable distance down the road :eek:
In remote areas (Slieve Blooms, most of Connemara & Burren) the sheep are free range so chances are you'll meet some that really want to cross the road right in front of you :green gri
Make sure you've plenty of fuel leaving 'civilisation' as there's nowhere near as many rural petrol (or gas to you) stations as there used to be :(
Above all take it easy, enjoy it & come back soon :bounce1

Unfortunately I'm stuck in work :( Thursday & Friday or I'd love to join you. If you need more info or routes let me know.

Hi,
I was the one riding the yellow 1150 in the photo above.
Myself and my uncle were touring around for 6 days.
We started off from Co. Kildare and headed to Roundstone, Co. Galway (via Shannonbridge - nice roads)
Took in Achill island, where I would recommend the Atlantic drive and then on up and around the Donegal coast and into the north.
Had a great trip, only problem I had to give back the 1150 at the end of it but would recommend CelticRider for GS rentals, was a great bike and Paul is a nice guy to deal with.

So, I am on the lookout for my own 1150 now, as I think I have caught the bug.

Thanks for stopping and saying hello Frosti, nice to meet you along the way and have looked up the Photo Rally.
Looks interesting for next year, may work on getting the bike first though!

Regards,
Colm

To ride from Galway to Westport is one of the best rides there is. Either out to Clifden or north at Maam, tea at Leenane, on to Louisburgh, in to Wesport, tea in Murrisk. Mayo, God help us.

Hi,
I was the one riding the yellow 1150 in the photo above.
Myself and my uncle were touring around for 6 days.
We started off from Co. Kildare and headed to Roundstone, Co. Galway (via Shannonbridge - nice roads)
Took in Achill island, where I would recommend the Atlantic drive and then on up and around the Donegal coast and into the north.
Had a great trip, only problem I had to give back the 1150 at the end of it but would recommend CelticRider for GS rentals, was a great bike and Paul is a nice guy to deal with.

So, I am on the lookout for my own 1150 now, as I think I have caught the bug.

Thanks for stopping and saying hello Frosti, nice to meet you along the way and have looked up the Photo Rally.
Looks interesting for next year, may work on getting the bike first though!

Regards,
Colm

Nice to meet you both Colm.
You were gone by the time I came back into town.
Will probably see you on the road again before too long.

Best of luck with the search.

Heated vest be a good idea. 7 degrees in the west a few mornings lately.

Back
Top Bottom