Slovenia ?

happy grandad

I am thinking of going - for the first time - to Slovenia and Croatia next year on the 1200GS

Is there any advice, areas to visit etc that can be given before i make my plans

BTW I am anally retentive so I spend November and December working out the routes for my summer trip :D

Thanks in advance

Slovenia is one of the best biking countries for a short trip and Croatia is ok.......but very touristy near the coast obviously.

Recommendations for Slovenia are .........
Lake Bled
Kranska Gora
Vrsic Pass and Julian Alps/Tolmin/Bovec
Postonja Caves (and others)
Idrja Gorge
Area around Maribor and then further East out towards Hungary
Visit Hungary and the area around Lake Balaton

You could also go further East into Bosnia and Serbia.......if you dare

Visited both countries in September whilst on a trip to Budapest & back, had a great time.

We entered Croatia from Hungary & headed to Zagreb. The old city is nice but not cheap. The Adriatic coast is beautiful, we stayed in Porec, not that far south of Trieste. The countryside is beautiful, plenty of rolling hills & forests.

We then headed to Slovenia from Trieste. The hotels in Ljubljana were full & we were directed to a campsite that also had small bungalows on site, competitively priced. Ljubljana is very small, the castle on the hill is worth seeing. The journey to the Dolomites is also worthwhile.

Wrote up a Ride Report, here's a link:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52824

You can either read throuh the report to access further links to individual photo galleries or go straight to the photos here:
http://possu.smugmug.com/Travel

If you scroll down, you'll find galleries for Croatia, Zagreb, Porec, Slovenia & Ljubljana as well as the other places we visited.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve

did world of bmw trip to slovenia last september. brilliant 10/7. have got the route and stop off points if you are interested. bled is fantastic. ate in a biker pub! couldn't finish the meal. if you're interested in the details send an email.

Great place

Thoroughly recommend Piran nightlife - Fitzy can confirm!

I've got Croguide (i.e. detailed maps of Croatia and Slovenia for the Streetpilot) if you want to either borrow or check it out before travelling (and of course if you have a Streetpilot!)

L

JohnnyBoxer said:
Slovenia is one of the best biking countries for a short trip

Recommendations for Slovenia are .........
Lake Bled
Kranska Gora
Vrsic Pass and Julian Alps/Tolmin/Bovec
Postonja Caves (and others)
Idrja Gorge

I've visited all of the above. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Thanks for the advice - apprieciated

Slovenia - definite
Croatia - highly probable

Bosnia & Serbia - only if I dare ;)

Ellis - I have never heard of Croguide so if I could have a short borrow to see what it is like I would very much appreciate it. I have looked at some maps but there is not very much detail.

Steve - great reports and photos -

:)

croguide

I found Cro Guide through the Garmin site. Its got pretty good detail, but you can't "find" very much or route as its still in its infancy. Very good though for keeping track of where you are and generally finding the right direction... much easier than a map if you ask me!! I'll do some screen grabs using Croguide so you can see the difference. It was £100 or so I think, and yes, it is locked to my Streetpilot. We could possibly swap units for your holiday if interested. Drop me a PM or email and we'll touch base.

The best map of the country and a llot of biking destinations are the BMF ones. Cheap too!

L

Back
Top Bottom