Grease up rear linkages

Captain Black

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone done the rear suspension linkages ?? I'm just thinking of maybe having a go greasing them up at some point. I looked at a someone doing the F650 classic, taking the swing arm off ect, and greasing the needle bearings. Just wondering if it was easier on the later Dakar model's ie grease nipples ? Also does anyone know if a grease gun from maybe halfords is pretty standard kit to do those kind of job's ?

I#m learning a fair bit about these bikes now as i go....:thumb

Any normal grease gun will do a nipple but it's best strip the linkage once in a while and grease all the bearings.

Has anyone done the rear suspension linkages ?? I'm just thinking of maybe having a go greasing them up at some point. I looked at a someone doing the F650 classic, taking the swing arm off ect, and greasing the needle bearings. Just wondering if it was easier on the later Dakar model's ie grease nipples ? Also does anyone know if a grease gun from maybe halfords is pretty standard kit to do those kind of job's ?

I#m learning a fair bit about these bikes now as i go....:thumb

Just stripped mine down recently. Nearly all the bearings were dried out and/or rusted. :tears That is most of the linkage bearings and all of the swinging arm bearings. :blast They were so shot that I could hardly move the swinging arm with the suspension unit removed! ..and it had just past its MOT!! :eek It isn't so hard to get at them so please save yourself a lot of money and grief! I'm afraid there are no grease nipples-It is a strip down job but you should be able to do the whole job in a day if you want to do the swinging arm bearings as well (advised) if you're fairly handy.

Forcing grease in is not best practice. The pressures that a grease gun can deliver will burst the small seals that help keep water/shite out of the linkage bearings.
I tend to loosen bolts and push the inner bearing race bush asside and them fire some fresh grease in, then assemble to the repair manual specs.
If you do need to ever replace any of the bearings, bushes and seals, avoid AllBallsRacing kits, they are shite. If you can not identify and purchase the spares from Simply Bearings, then buy OEM parts. Avoid the chinese shite that ABR kits are made from.

Just doing mine at the moment as I'm replacing the rear shock. 30k on the old girl and I don't think the rear has ever been fully apart before... :eek:

Swing arm bearings are completely fubared but thankfully the bolt came straight out. The bearings are so rusted in I'm struggling to get them out. May have to resort to cutting them. All the other linkage bearings are fine bizarrely.

Is it worth trying a bearing puller? I don't think I can push them through as I believe as the hole is tapered in to the centre. Can anyone confirm?

Just doing mine at the moment as I'm replacing the rear shock. 30k on the old girl and I don't think the rear has ever been fully apart before... :eek:

Swing arm bearings are completely fubared but thankfully the bolt came straight out. The bearings are so rusted in I'm struggling to get them out. May have to resort to cutting them. All the other linkage bearings are fine bizarrely.

Is it worth trying a bearing puller? I don't think I can push them through as I believe as the hole is tapered in to the centre. Can anyone confirm?
I always use a screwdriver and rive at the ring, all the bearings fall out then the ring comes out

Bash bearings out any way you like, just keep them running square in the housing. They are scrap so hit whatever you can get to with the drift.

Well they're out. I had to use a g clamp and socket to break them free before smashing them out. Not elegant but did the job. New bearings and seals went in easily.

Not much left of the old ones...

13132473794_63ee16f9c0_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom