Finally Decision made re R1200GS or XT1200Z Super Ten

Banzai600

Reaction score
I had made a previous thread here re the GS, looking for views etc, see here http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310426

However, I have since chosen to go forward and purchase a new XT1200Z instead.

Rode the two bikes and went from there. S10 felt noticeably heavier up top but the bike felt better for me over the GS.

A few issues re BMW reliability put me off too along with the price. I know all about reliablility issues & rumours as I own a beautiful Ducati 749s (we all know about Ducati rumours) so they werent the deciding factor in putting me off.

Happy enough now, gotta wait two weeks.

Rasher here ( i dont know him ) was also throwing in his tuppence re the S10. After trailing through hrs of interweb forums etc it was the right choice, i hope... ;)

Keep ya's posted when it arrives etc.

:cool:

You pays ya money an takes ya choice is the only response needed ,good luck an njoy ,but you won't njoy the depreciation of your new toy in years to come but if that's not an issue for yourself then it's probably the best choice ??? :D:D

I dont think you'll regret it, traded in my gs earlier this year for a s10, the bike is superb. Fuel economy is great and when you want to get a move on it shifts and handles well, it's a keeper for me. Only thing i'd suggest is wind up the rear preload a bit as it's a bit soft on factory settings and it definitely needs tank protectors where your knees sit, get em before you ride it and stick them on straight away.Enjoy:thumb

I thought i had made a mistake selling the gs and getting the S10, But i know now i didnt, great bike 5k miles from january,I have the ecu done,arrow headers,mivv can, The bike goes and handles great, You wont regret it, Enjoy your new bike:thumb

Sold the GS and bought an S10 in June owing to reliability issues with the GS over the 5 years of ownership, 3 batteries, 2 ECU units, rear wheel bearings and at last service told the rear shock was loosing damping and all over 16,000 miles and never carried a passenger.
I don't regret it one bit. Excellent economy and goes like stink, this is a long-term keeper.
The only thing I miss is the dealer experience, a massive :thumb to Balderstons.

Thanks for the replies folks, appreciated

Gonna NOT MOD the bike until I get familiar with it.

Really looking forward to it.

Any links / pointers appreciated re add-ons :thumb

I sold my GSA due to bits breaking all the time, bearings, ECU, etc, and got an S10 and love it.
The first bit I had to change was the short screen, replaced it with a givi which is very similar to my GS screen and works very well, I also fitted winglets and yam heated grips, just waiting for my Corbin seat to arrive tomorrow as the stock seat is a killer for me.
The luggage boxes are bad so one day I'll get em replaced but in the meantime I have had a key cut just for the boxes as they tend to bend keys and didn't want to risk busting my main one.
I haven't bothered with ECU re maps and pipes as its quick enough as it is when in sport mode for me.

@ Streaky / GS Bloke

Gonna get a taller MRA screen & the wind deflectors. The test bike I had was fitted with them.

Have engine bars & Givi 42 ltr back box ordered also.

Really looking forward to it

Love the engine, love the delivery and its going to be a long term bike. So keeping service costs down for me ( being a jap bike 0 is important.

:thumb

If you are considering a new screen, I'd look seriously at the Givi AF447.

When abroad I can ride at speeds well above the UK limit with my visor up.

Mike

This is the AF447 AirFlow

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,337
You pays ya money an takes ya choice is the only response needed ,good luck an njoy ,but you won't njoy the depreciation of your new toy in years to come but if that's not an issue for yourself then it's probably the best choice ??? :D:D

wot he said :thumb2

Tks for the info re the screens, Im gonna go with the MRA one, this kinda job..

XT1200Z_10_VT1-B.jpg

wot he said :thumb2

Hmmm...cheers.

Same with any new bike, I remember some chap here trying to flog his GSA at a year old, fully loaded £16k bike and offers of £9k from BMW dealers at a year old - I paid £9400 for my Tenere with 149 miles on the clock so as long as it is worth over £2400 next year I am quids in.

I lost £2k in 18 months on my GS, and it had dropped from over £12k new to £8500 in a dealer in the first two years, so I guess the original owner got £7k when trading it (£5k loss in two years, sounds worse than Jap bike depreciation to me, only lost £2600 on a 2.5 year old ZZR1400)

Not that it matters I certainly got £2k of enjoyment from the BMW and definately got £2600 of fun from the ZZR, modern bikes are not investments.

Due to no Euro tour this year and a rather crap summer I have only managed 4k since June, but the Yamaha has been great.

The clutch switch mod is a poor mans ECU remap and gives a noticeable improvement at low revs and removes the "stumbling" feeling just off idle.

I had the Yamaha Wingletts and heated grips from new and added a Givi Airflow like the one pictured as I liked the one I had on the GS.

Yamaha Luggage is definately not in BMW league so I have SW Motech Trax, pretty good except the top box cramps the pillion (but a bit of machining of the mount plate should resolve that)

I have also had the forks re-worked and fitted and Wilburs shock, proper magic carpet ride now, I would say bump absorbtion was a bit better than the GS to begin with, but the front was still a bit harsh and dived a lot.

The Wilburs has solved the ground clearance issues and made a huge difference to two-up handling as well as riding bumps even better. The forks are now far more compliant, especially braking over bumps and the sudden diving is gone - but TBH I would rather trade the smoother ride for the BMW front ends lack of dive.

I also liked the ease of rear wheel removal on the GS, but the Yamaha FD does not fill me with dread so I can put up with an extra 20 minutes on a tyre change.

Tony Archer Seats, Modified Top Box Mount and ECU remap next on the mod list :)

Additional costs

Hi
Out of interest, the additional time and costs for:
- screen
- suspension
- forks rework
- luggage
comes to how much?

Just musing on how much extra it costs to turn a stock bike into something better.

Ta

@ Streaky / GS Bloke

Gonna get a taller MRA screen & the wind deflectors. The test bike I had was fitted with them.

Have engine bars & Givi 42 ltr back box ordered also.

Really looking forward to it

Love the engine, love the delivery and its going to be a long term bike. So keeping service costs down for me ( being a jap bike 0 is important.

:thumb

Give the stock screen a chance. At my stumpy height of 5'8" the stock screen is excellent. I believe it may be less good for taller riders. For me, after the 1150GS with Tobinators the stock S10 screen provides a serene bubble of air all the way up an indicated 130mph (as tested on a German autobahn, obviously).

Due to no Euro tour this year and a rather crap summer I have only managed 4k since June, but the Yamaha has been great.

The clutch switch mod is a poor mans ECU remap and gives a noticeable improvement at low revs and removes the "stumbling" feeling just off idle.

I had the Yamaha Wingletts and heated grips from new and added a Givi Airflow like the one pictured as I liked the one I had on the GS.

Yamaha Luggage is definately not in BMW league so I have SW Motech Trax, pretty good except the top box cramps the pillion (but a bit of machining of the mount plate should resolve that)

I have also had the forks re-worked and fitted and Wilburs shock, proper magic carpet ride now, I would say bump absorbtion was a bit better than the GS to begin with, but the front was still a bit harsh and dived a lot.

The Wilburs has solved the ground clearance issues and made a huge difference to two-up handling as well as riding bumps even better. The forks are now far more compliant, especially braking over bumps and the sudden diving is gone - but TBH I would rather trade the smoother ride for the BMW front ends lack of dive.

I also liked the ease of rear wheel removal on the GS, but the Yamaha FD does not fill me with dread so I can put up with an extra 20 minutes on a tyre change.

Tony Archer Seats, Modified Top Box Mount and ECU remap next on the mod list :)

I havent really read aout the "clotuch switch" re engine, I think I will leave well enough alone as I thought it had ample power. I still have the Ducati for "hooning" when needs be.

Interesting re the "Wilbur" springs. I did notice that two up the bike did dive a little, (something the GS didnt do) but I will try adjusting the oem forks before I go spending that sort of wonga.

Looking forward to it, getting it.

Same with any new bike, I remember some chap here trying to flog his GSA at a year old, fully loaded £16k bike and offers of £9k from BMW dealers at a year old - I paid £9400 for my Tenere with 149 miles on the clock so as long as it is worth over £2400 next year I am quids in.

I lost £2k in 18 months on my GS, and it had dropped from over £12k new to £8500 in a dealer in the first two years, so I guess the original owner got £7k when trading it (£5k loss in two years, sounds worse than Jap bike depreciation to me, only lost £2600 on a 2.5 year old ZZR1400)

Not that it matters I certainly got £2k of enjoyment from the BMW and definately got £2600 of fun from the ZZR, modern bikes are not investments.

Similar to me that Rasher, the BMW Dealer would not offer me anything for my Fully Loaded GSA he said he had too many, it only had six months warranty left and i was not going to extend warranty because I have never had to do that before and wasn't gonna start now, anyhow I ended up selling it to trade to get shut, I got £8500 for it and it cost me new £14600 a 2010 twin cam, 18 months old, never again.

Best regards Stretch.

Back
Top Bottom