K100RS16v spline lube query

Harry Nicholson

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have some instructions for lubricating the Final Drive Splines for the R850/1100/1150 type motorcycles . The paralever back end looks to be the same as my 1991 K100RS paralever . Does anybody know if this procedure is ok for the K ? If not any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Harry

Oh err misses.

No BMW for is complete without a spline lube thread, usually run by 'mericans.

Anyway, Most likely yes, it'll be the same. I have some BMW recommended Optimol spline paste somewhere in the garage you're welcome to if you need it. Let me know, just postage :)

. The paralever back end looks to be the same as my 1991 K100RS paralever . Does anybody know if this procedure is ok for the K ? If not any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Harry

It's not needed - i've never ever heard or seen a K100/1100 paralever with driveshaft splines worn.

Is good old Molly grease not made for the job or is Spline paste just the same thing?? Maybe beemers are different? But on my ST1100 i only ever used that and it preserved it like new over 18yrs and about 140k miles....

Thanks for the replies guys. I`ll take Steptoe`s advice & forget about the issue.

Cheers

Harry

Harry. I wouldn't say do nothing... Just keep them well covered in Moly grease. I'm new to beemers but can't see what would be different with other drive splines. There were many cases of people with ST1100s not taking care of this and paying the price (worn drive splines!).

There were many cases of people with ST1100s not taking care of this and paying the price (worn drive splines!).

I'll say it again - K series paralever driveshaft splines don't wear.

The K100/K75 non paralever driveshaft splines do wear.
The K100 paralever and K1100 driveshaft splines do not.

But the U/J's can break. :D

Back
Top Bottom