Roundabout spill

dickins

Reaction score
Had a lowside on my r1200st this afternoon. Have not got a clue how it happened, reasonable but not excessive speed,road dry and clear of debris,it just slid away from me.I,m ok,but, as I don't know why the bike slid,my confidence has took a bashing.Now to the bike.The engine casing took the brunt of the impact and seems to have been shoved out of pgravel rash,but is serviceable,fairing has a small scuff which did not worry me initially,but on closer inspection it seems to be misaligned ,including the other side.The r+g protector on the final drive saved the aluminium casing.I was toying with the idea of doing the repair myself,but started worrying that the frame or fairing brackets may be bent,so i'm going the insurance route.
I have a couple of questions. Will I be able to take my bike to a BMW dealer of my choice or will I be in the hands of the ins. co.. When I had the bike on the centrestand and rotated the back wheel I was aware of a sort of clunking/knocking which seemed to eminate from the front end of the driveshaft and roughly per wheel revolution. I have not noticed this before when I have spun the wheels to clean them.Could this be due to the accident or is it purely coincidental? The bike has covered 11000mls.
Thanks in advance guys.:beerjug:

I would get a estimate before going down the claims route. Can have large expenses with loss of NBC+ excess might exceed claim. I know this from my own experience even with protected NBC. Jjh

I am going to guess that spilt diesel was involved in your off. Good to hear you are OK ,bike will mend. :comfort

To answer the question about whether you can use a repair shop of your choice the answer is yes, there maybe some resistance and cavetts from your insurance company but you can have the bike repaired where you like.
Mind you, personally I would look at repairing it yourself, a low side shouldn't cause to much damage unless the bike slammed into a kerb or other solid object.
Hth
\v/

To answer the question about whether you can use a repair shop of your choice the answer is yes, there maybe some resistance and cavetts from your insurance company but you can have the bike repaired where you like.
Mind you, personally I would look at repairing it yourself, a low side shouldn't cause to much damage unless the bike slammed into a kerb or other solid object.
Hth
\v/

I did consider repairing the bike myself (£500 excess):blast,but the bike did hit the kerb, and the fairing panels,although only slightly scuffed look all misaligned. This had me fretting that the fairing brackets etc.,or even the frame/forks may have suffered from the spill.
I had a company called BLD phone me today,who act on behalf of the ins. broker and deal with all the bike repairs.When I asked if I was legally obliged to use them, they told me as I was fully comp and no one else was involved I could take it to whoever I chose and deal with my insurance co. directly.
My local dealer was closed today,so I will give them a call tomorrow and ask them how they feel about doing the repair.

Back
Top Bottom