Taking my R100gspd to Canada

Mike whitworth

Next August I am hoping to travel from the UK to Canada for a month due to the high cost of renting a bike out there I am thinking of getting my R100gspd out there by either Plane or ship . any thoughts on this ? any ideas on cost etc pitfalls etc.
I plan to visit my cousin in Toronto and then travel over to the Rockies.
:confused:

ships!! good idea!!:D :D :D :D

Attachments

• i_lost_my_job_today_4.jpg
    i_lost_my_job_today_4.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 171
My knowledge comes from shipping a bike one way and substantially further, so other people will know more about return trips, providing your own crate rather than having the shippers provide one, and whether an insurance green card will cover risks at sea (I was surprised how much insurance came to, but ships can sink...)

Using a good "handle everything" shipping service, I'd guess the return trip cost might get into four figures but all you'll have to do is hand them the bike with the tank as empty as conveniently possible then collect it at the other end. And I'd think that the bike would be in transit for a month or so in each direction - be aware that time taken consolidating your crate into a container of part loads until it's full and on a ship needs to be accounted for so that you don't spend your holiday waiting for the bike.

All I know about air freight is that a bicycle was pretty expensive, and weight was a major consideration...

Mike whitworth said:

I plan to visit my cousin in Toronto and then travel over to the Rockies.
:confused:

YTO-YYC-YTO=6,720
YTO-YVR-YTO=8,360
(your mileage may vary on this)...Either way, you're going to need a bigger butt-pad!

Mike

Take a look at:

www.horizonsunlimited.com

All sorts of bike shipping infor there. The bloke who runs the site (Grant Johnson) is a Canadian - so can give you chapter and verse. He's a big advocate of flying rather than shipping. However a couple of mates of ours have shipped to the US - turned up at the UK docks and stowed the bikes on the deck of a boat. Arrived OK. Send me a mail and I'll forward you their mail address.

BTW, you'd better investigate insurance before going too!

Simon
sorebums at yahoo.co.uk

I generally ship my bike most places, but ended up flying it into Vancouver, David at HC Travel gave me a good price- I had been hunting around for quotes for a while at that stage, he also gives shipping quotes

www.hctravel.com

or phone
01256 770775

he can also sort out the insurance for you.
Definitely also check out the Horizons website as Simon suggests - they have loads of info.

The Canadian customs were possibly the fastest I have ever come across - 30 mins from my arrival at the airport to leaving on my bike.

The other thing is how much you need/want your bike at home, as it will be at sea for weeks on a boat
are you going to ship/fly into eastern Canada and ship/fly it home form the west?
The Rockies are so spectacular that you have got to go there - but there is an awful lot of very flat and boring Prairies in between.

good luck with your trip:beerjug:

In 2002 I flew my Pan European to Vancouver, rode across the US then flew back to the UK from Toronto. See http://msnusers.com/USCoasttoCoastMotorcycleTrip2002

I used H-C Travel and they were first class. My experience at getting my bike at Vancouver Airport was the opposite to Tiffany's. It took four hours too-ing and fro-ing between the Cargo Depot, a mile away from the main airport buildings, and the Customs, and Agriculture.

Flying the bike was, from memory, £1700 return + my own air ticket. Expensive, yes but I didn't want to lose the bike for six weeks (The ship has to go through the Panama Canal). Shipping was about half the cost of flying.

In 2005 I intend to return to the US but will ship the bike to a US West Coast port from Southampton. I can't recall the shipping line (something Willenius?) but the ship leaves Southampton once a week and a bike costs £432 single.
I hope this helps.

Nick Sanders has a trip I'm considering which for £2,250 includes my flight and the shipping of my bike to and from New York, all motels etc for the Alaska trip. Also includes bike insurance for the US & Canada.

He must have some good contacts so might be worth dropping him an email, check his site: www.motochallenge.com

Mike,

Earlier I posted a quiery about shipping from the US to the UK so I found some of the info on your thread very helpful. I've read good things about David at H-C Travel and we've spoken, I think it a first class operation. I may consider using them for my trip in May. But I'm only riding for a couple of weeks so it may pay to rent.
Also, last August I rode up to Canada via the Pacific Coast Hyw. Turned around at Canada. But next August I'm doing the Canadian Rockies as well. From all I've heard it's spectacular! If were in the same area at the same time we might ride along. I'll be riding up through Scotland and Ireland the end of May and first of June. I'm going to swing down at the end of the trip and spend at least a day or two in Wales. And if your from Gloucester, [I can't remember from your post], you must know some fine Welsh roads. Let me know. Garth

Also check out www.motorcycleexpress.com for flying from the UK to Canada. They fly uncrated and you have to do your own paperwork, but we have always had a good experience when we have dealt with them direct. They canalso do your insurance over the web.

Back
Top Bottom