Adding a fuel guage, level sensor etc etc to an RS?

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My RS runs out of fuel rather fast......I get only 20 miles notice from fuel light to phut phut phut (although it's a nice gradual phut phut phut and I can do 5 miles whilst phutting)

With the small tank, I only get 130-140 miles per re-fill, and now I've got the most hoomungist (technical term, go look it up) fairing in the world, I have plenty of room to add a fuel gauge.

I know several other K bikes have them fitted as standard, and I have looked at the Real OEM fiches, but has anyone done it?

I can't afford OEM kit, but I do have half a dozen or more fuel gauges sitting about in odd boxes......any thoughts on adapting one?

:beerjug:

The OE gauges come up on ebay from time to time and most of the bikes have the loom connections in place (under the tank). The OE fuel gauge uses the same sender that triggers the fuel warning light (or lights depending on the age of the bike).

If you were only getting that range from a full tank with the RS fairing, pushing that barn door is going to be worse. A fuel gauge won't help apart from tell you what you already know from the trip.

You could achieve the same effect by opening the Motometer and sticking a bulb in the defunct 7 litre warning light holder. You'll just have an amber light glaring at you for a while before the red one comes on. ;)

The OE gauges come up on ebay from time to time and most of the bikes have the loom connections in place (under the tank). The OE fuel gauge uses the same sender that triggers the fuel warning light (or lights depending on the age of the bike).

If you were only getting that range from a full tank with the RS fairing, pushing that barn door is going to be worse. A fuel gauge won't help apart from tell you what you already know from the trip.

You could achieve the same effect by opening the Motometer and sticking a bulb in the defunct 7 litre warning light holder. You'll just have an amber light glaring at you for a while before the red one comes on. ;)

There is a 2nd hand gauge up on Ebay right now.
Interesting about the 7 litre warning...that could be useful :thumb2

Have read THIS thread as well....I think I'll stick a multimeter on the connection under the seat and see what results I get......I should be able to match the max and min readings with a gauge I already have, even if I have to stick a resistor in line.....

I know I keep sounding like a cheap bastard but I have to keep this to an absolute minimum, cost-wise :blast

Thanks Mike :kissy2

K series fuel guage.. I might have one kicking around, somewhere.

The bmw guage is plug and play, and includes a light that comes on when the lights are switched on. No wiring needed. :thumb2

I might also have a matching engine temperature guage, which is also plug and play.

Just don't rush me.. :D

Back
Top Bottom