Saw this at the National Arboretum

Jonnybiscuit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
While there for the "RTTW" I was having a look around. At the Galipoli memorial (somewhat close to my heart as my Grandad was there) I saw a quote that will stay with me. For some reason that I can't put my finger on, I thought it worth sharing. It read....

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. Having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

Q. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

The original can be found on a memorial at Gallipoli. The fact that Ataturk actually commanded part of the Turkish defence only adds to the poignancy of his words.

My grandfather landed on the first day and remained there until the final withdrawal.

I agree a very touchig comment.

My Grandfather was WALKING across "Mesopatamia" from the Gulf to "catch them knapping from the otherside". Bit of a failure that, they got back to these shores in 1919 reported as dead/missing (5 of them).
When the Russians went into Afganistan he said they had no chance. History huh!

The original can be found on a memorial at Gallipoli. The fact that Ataturk actually commanded part of the Turkish defence only adds to the poignancy of his words.

My grandfather landed on the first day and remained there until the final withdrawal.

Mustafa Kemal
The Gallipoli campaign gave an important boost to the career of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, a little-known, low-ranking army officer whose success at Gallipoli made him a national hero. He was promoted to Pasha and, with the collapse of the Ottoman Empire at the end of World War I, became the founder of the modern Turkish state with the title Atatürk, the Father of Turkey.
With other Turkish officers, Mustafa Kemal halted and eventually repelled the Allied advance, Mustafa Kemal exceeding his authority and contravening orders in so doing. His speech "I do not command you to fight, I command you to die. In the time it will take us to die we can be replenished by new forces" (Turkish: "Ben size taaruzu değil, ölmeyi emrediyorum. Biz ölünceye kadar geçecek zaman zarfında yerimize başka kuvvetler ve kumandanlar geçebilir") has entered history. The 57th Regiment, led by Lieutenant Colonel Hüseyin Avni, fulfilled the order precisely. The entire regiment fell in battle.

I've done a bit of a search and this is extra interesting for me as Kamal and Lawrence appear to have met when he was interrogated by Lawrence in Dera'a (much in the news recently being the site of apparent atrocities by the Syrian army in the current uprising) this was during the Turkish retreat from the Hejaz in Sept 1918.

This from Lawrence of Arabia - The Authorised Biography by Jeremy Wilson. (p558)

(Mustafa) Kemal was held briefly by the Arabs and interrogated by Lawrence before being released. Kemal had been corresponding with Feisal for several months, and the Arab Nationalists saw his Pan-Turk party as a potential ally. As a prisoner, he would have been in no position to further their cause. Some years after the war, Lawrence told a Foreign Office official that “by a curious accident he was able, in September 1918, to have several conversations with Mustafa Kemal Pasa.”

Lawrence recalled that they had talked, among other things, about Turkish war aims and the aspirations of the Pan-Turk party. His statement gave the gist of these conversations in considerable detail. (Mustafa) Kemal had told him that Turkey’s real interests lay to the east. They had entered the war primarily to gain territory in Persia, Muslim Trans-Caucasia, and so on. He had confirmed that the Pan-Turks were not interested in the Arab Provinces: Palestina, Syria, Mesapotamia were not only valueless in the Pan-Turkish scheme of things(except in certain strategical aspects relating to the war) but would be positive dangers and encumbrances if they remained in Turkish possession. The Pan-Turks, he declared, would lose them without a regret; they would even be glad to be rid of them.

Although (Mustafa) Kemal was a high-ranking enemy officer, the Arab leaders saw him as their best hope for future relations with Turkey, and with Lawrence’s agreement he was released.

Both Feisal and Lawrence were later to be staunch supporters of (Mustafa) Kemal during his struggle for control in Turkey and for international recognition.

Back
Top Bottom