Garmisch 2013

Hut van

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice on my first trip to Garmisch in July next year we will be leaving from Newcastle to Amsterdam on Thursday 4th July with Hotel booked in Garmisch for the Sat 6th and 7th.Then leaving to travel back up on Monday morning for the ferry on wed/thurs. So the big question is what would be the best route down,:flag then returning with a little more time in hand.

From Amsterdam to Garmisch is about 600 miles. By the time you get off the ferry is at best 10am. 600 miles on the busy motorways (Fridays in particular),you are really pushing it. Done the trip many times myself but always with an overnight stop somewhere on the Rhein between Koblenz and Ruedesheim,gets you off the autobahn and enjoy the fantastic scenery.
I certainly would not recommend the trip all in one go.

Stayed in a lovely hotel in Bad Peterstal a couple of years back.. Nice distance from Garmisch for a stop over (hotel Hirsch). :thumb2

Motorway down to Strasbourg, about 400 miles, then head east on the non-motorway roads. Road next to the Danube at Sigmaringen is nice.

From Amsterdam to Garmisch is about 600 miles. By the time you get off the ferry is at best 10am. 600 miles on the busy motorways (Fridays in particular),you are really pushing it. Done the trip many times myself but always with an overnight stop somewhere on the Rhein between Koblenz and Ruedesheim,gets you off the autobahn and enjoy the fantastic scenery.
I certainly would not recommend the trip all in one go.

Just realised you got 2days:blasts will report back tomorrow with some ideas and hotels:D

Fridays can be a pig with traffic everywhere. Come off the boat and head down towards frankurt or wiesbaden for your friday night then early start and get to garmisch early afternoon or you could go a bit further on the fri ie heidelberg or even karlsruhe if you are riding solo by yourself which will give you less to do on the saturday. I would head back up through the blackforest and rhine on your way back. On the friday route your self away from Utrecht as the surrounding motorways seem the grind to a halt all day on a friday, thats just my personel opinion passing there fairly often be it the bike or lorry. I sometimes stay at euro hotel wiesbaden on the way down. Its clean and cheapish and apart from the bar/resturant next door there feck all else in the area so theres more chance of a bite and a couple of beers then earlyish night for an early start. I would leave heidelberg for your way back when you will have more time to sober up in the morning.

Motorway down to Strasbourg, about 400 miles, then head east on the non-motorway roads. Road next to the Danube at Sigmaringen is nice.

Cheers John, would it be better /quicker traveling through France rather than Germany, as we would like to get there at a reasonable time on saturday?

From Amsterdam I would go through Germany, Venlo-Koblenz-Frankfurt-Wuerzburg stop over "Rothenburg ob d.Tauber hotel-www.hotel-linde-rothenburg.de. (Great for Bikers). Easy run the next day to Garmisch:ronno

From Amsterdam I would go through Germany, Venlo-Koblenz-Frankfurt-Wuerzburg stop over "Rothenburg ob d.Tauber hotel-www.hotel-linde-rothenburg.de. (Great for Bikers). Easy run the next day to Garmisch:ronno

Thanks for the info wolf, I will have a look at a map and check it out.How long do you think it would take for two bikes solo to get to Rothenburg.:flag

Thanks for the info wolf, I will have a look at a map and check it out.How long do you think it would take for two bikes solo to get to Rothenburg.:flag

7 to 9 hours depending on traffic

But book early, Rothenberg ob. d Tauber is a mega tourist attraction during the summer months often with accommodation in surrounding areas fully booked. Reason - not only the attraction of a middle-age town but also the 365 days a year open Christmas shop. It's always crammed full with our Japanese friends but as they are usually quite small looking over the top of them isn't a big deal.

But book early, Rothenberg ob. d Tauber is a mega tourist attraction during the summer months often with accommodation in surrounding areas fully booked. Reason - not only the attraction of a middle-age town but also the 365 days a year open Christmas shop. It's always crammed full with our Japanese friends but as they are usually quite small looking over the top of them isn't a big deal.

Good shout,having a route planning meeting this weekend so will book soon cheers:beerjug:

Rothenberg ob d Tauber

Would also recommend Rothenberg as an overnight stop - we've stayed there a couple of times, the last time was on way to Garmisch from Ijmuiden ferry terminal.
It's a good days ride from the ferry by the time you get going - especially 2-up.
We stayed here both times:
www.fuchsmuehle.de/
It's down below the town on the river - a converted flourmill. There's a small path leads up from the Pension right into the centre of the town.

Cheers....................Grizzly:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom