seems my S10 is a bit nesh

wessie

Reaction score
So, working in Gloucester and living in Cheltenham means I don't see much of the S10 as it is garaged in S.Wales.

Came back to S Wales for the weekend and was looking forward to a ride out this morning but the bike had other ideas. The battery was nicely charged, all idiot lights went out, motor span but the engine wouldn't start. Ambient temperature at 6C.

So, I put a heater on in the garage and disappeared back into the house for a while. Returned to garage with an ambient temperature of 15C and the bloody thing started, just as it began to rain.

So, working in Gloucester and living in Cheltenham means I don't see much of the S10 as it is garaged in S.Wales.

Came back to S Wales for the weekend and was looking forward to a ride out this morning but the bike had other ideas. The battery was nicely charged, all idiot lights went out, motor span but the engine wouldn't start. Ambient temperature at 6C.

So, I put a heater on in the garage and disappeared back into the house for a while. Returned to garage with an ambient temperature of 15C and the bloody thing started, just as it began to rain.

kill switch :augie

:hide

Nesh.................... now there's a word to conjure with, good to see it correctly used :thumb2

Agreed, but not to be used by a Welshman. Tis a northern expression :blast

only if your language hasn't evolved since the Magna Carta.

Chaucer, Thomas Hardy and Elizabeth Gaskell, all born south of the Watford Gap, have used the word. I am merely paying homage to my literary peers...

not convinced the word (or chaucer) ever came to bournemouth :confused:

Heard of issues after a wash and odd ones when its warm but not cold, mines been stood a while now so will fire it later and see what occurs. Not had any to date though

The weather has been damp & pretty cold over here. i aint had any issues to think of re " hard starting " as its known.

Where i work its been rainy, damp & bikes been parked outside 1 deg Cel but bike has been fine. It was sat for over a week & fired up no problem.

Heard of issues after a wash and odd ones when its warm but not cold, mines been stood a while now so will fire it later and see what occurs. Not had any to date though

Wash? A motorcycle? Are you mad?

This has been reported by a few folk, mine was hard to start once after a long period sat idle.

Some reckon a quick start such as driving it up the drive to clean it leaves residual extra fuel and if it has not warmed up the next start can be tricky.

They also say if it does not fire instantly then crank it WOT - this got mine going after a bit of cranking.

As it is fly-by-wire the WOT in theory would do nothing, but some ECU systems have clear modes so this may be the case and by going WOT the bike stops throwing more fuel in to clear the "flood". Other vehicles have similar systems such as turning on the ignition with WOT, but mormally this is not in the owners manual.

Mine was definately over-fuelled as there was a strong petrol smell and a little puff of smoke when it fired up. In fact mine always smells a bit fuelly when it starts up.

I think the Yamaha "choke" mode is very rich, and my theory is that the issue is if it does not start after the first couple of ignition cycles it can end up flooded - and the WOT trick does clear this.

This has been reported by a few folk, mine was hard to start once after a long period sat idle.

Some reckon a quick start such as driving it up the drive to clean it leaves residual extra fuel and if it has not warmed up the next start can be tricky.

They also say if it does not fire instantly then crank it WOT - this got mine going after a bit of cranking.

As it is fly-by-wire the WOT in theory would do nothing, but some ECU systems have clear modes so this may be the case and by going WOT the bike stops throwing more fuel in to clear the "flood". Other vehicles have similar systems such as turning on the ignition with WOT, but mormally this is not in the owners manual.

Mine was definately over-fuelled as there was a strong petrol smell and a little puff of smoke when it fired up. In fact mine always smells a bit fuelly when it starts up.

I think the Yamaha "choke" mode is very rich, and my theory is that the issue is if it does not start after the first couple of ignition cycles it can end up flooded - and the WOT trick does clear this.

What's WOT ?

Well fired mine up after being stood for nearly 4 weeks, fired 1st prod :D
I have had a K&N and Remus since 600m service maybe the K&N helps to prevent flooding :nenau
to be honest i would be very disappointed in any new'ish bike that didn't start 1st time regardless of ambient.
Missus has had a couple of new cars which would play up, mondeo 1.8 petrol wouldn't start when hot and Scooby impreza same when hot, both just spun like there was no compression.

Back
Top Bottom