29 December off roading in the south east

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Feeling a bit flat after Christmas?

Need some fresh air and the excellent exercise that comes from righting a fallen-over GS??

Blue Light Off Road Club is hosting another of its excellent events at Bagshot (Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire border) on the 29th.

I have no affiliation, except to say that I have attended previously; I'll be there again and it would be great to have a few tossers meet up for a brew and a chinwag at lunch time.

They're very relaxed events, you have a big range of terrain available from flat 'dirt' tracks to much more challenging stuff. So whether you have a GS with Tourances or a pogo with enduro rubber, there's a huge amount on offer.

More details here: http://bluelightoffroadclub.co.uk/

Paul G :beerjug:

Going to be Wet wet wet! I like Bagshot, especially if it is a bit more challenging than normal. However, Bakermans run is also the day after so I will be going to that instead.

However, Bakermans run is also the day after so I will be going to that instead.

Paul and I were looking at doing both but the big bike group on Bakermans ride requires TKC's at least and that's without mentioning riding ability :augie
(I speak for myself here Paul)

If you stick to the gravel with normal road tyres you'll be fine. If, however, you venture on to wet chalk, wet mud, wet water, wet grass, wet (see a pattern here..) then it's a whole new ball game.

I have ridden a GS on road tyres on the plain (on the gravel only) and was OK.

I've just returned from a couple of hours mountainbiking, and I took in the Bagshot off road area.

Yep, it's very soggy! As suggested, the hard tracks are fine, and very rideable, but if you're looking for mud and puddles, you won't be disappointed!!

Paul

If any other tossers do come along, look out for a blue/white 1150 (me) and a 950 KTM (Tunneruk) and say hello.

:beerjug:

Paul

HELLO!

I'll be the guy with tired shoulders through constantly having to pick his KTM up :thumb

It was a bit damp

As suspected it was pretty wet in places but the way the day was organised you could pretty much opt in or out of a section to suit yourself. I enjoyed it, though i'm not sure my little CRM250 enjoyed dragging me up some of the climbs. In fact it mutinied half way up a couple and made me get off. A proper challenging days terrain to play on with no pressure :thumb2
And hello to Tunner & the other Paul G, I was the chap talking to you by the long water section at one point, hope you got home alright with your caliper problem.

Last edited:
As suspected it was pretty wet in places but the way the day was organised you could pretty much opt in or out of a section to suit yourself. I enjoyed it, though i'm not sure my little CRM250 enjoyed dragging me up some of the climbs. In fact it mutinied half way up a couple and made me get off. A proper challenging days terrain to play on with no pressure :thumb2
And hello to Tunner & the other Paul G, I was the chap talking to you by the long water section at one point, hope you got home alright with your caliper problem.

AH HELLO ANDY!

It was a great day, fortunately Paul got back to his place ok, he's now surveying the aftermath!

I had one little 'get off' I stopped and couldn't get the traction to get going again, the bike ended up just slipping away, I just stepped off, no harm done :thumb

I thought it was an excellent day, I can't wait for the next!

Here's a couple of photos ....

Here I come ...

There I go ...

The most admirable brave face of The Other Paul G ...

off road 009 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Go on then ..... Just for a bit of fun!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1HGD-pUpcrA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yep, I was there too!!!

Riding a KTM Exc, along with Lee Crawley & his son (KTM & Honda).

I had a belting day, on the track, thru the woods, water, sandbowl etc etc...and I'm shattered now, especially after launching myself over the handlebars.....:blast

I also managed to get some good air over a couple of the jumps too....

The place must be so much fun in the dry.....:clap

It was a cold and wet day.

But you soon warm up if you accidentally do a bit of the 'enduro' route...!

(sorry, I think I was route-finding at that point..:D)

Attachments

• off road 002.jpg
    off road 002.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 65
For the mechanically challenged, the rear caliper is not meant to look much like this:

Attachments

• off road 007.jpg
    off road 007.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 63
...and if anyone knows a reputable wheel (re-) builder, I'd appreciate the contact details (serious request!):

Attachments

• off road 012 spokes.jpg
    off road 012 spokes.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 62
But was it good fun?

Oh yes, despite the conditions, the big traillies coped admirably.

As has been noted before, it's quite staggering what a big fat adventure bike on mild tyres can deal with, if pushed.

Some of the steep descents, post the departure of my rear brake:blast, were quite exciting, but the GS never hesitated.

It has to be noted that the event was brilliantly organised. All those bikes in those awful conditions and everyone had a great day- well done John Amos :thumb

Paul G

Thanks for the cable ties Chris. :thumb

Attachments

• off road 008.jpg
    off road 008.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 66
  • off road 023 tank.jpg
    off road 023 tank.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 64

Back
Top Bottom