GS ADV v K1600 GT ?

paddy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Should I swap my GSAdv triple black for a nearly new K1600GT.

Going for a test ride tomorrow.

Anybody made a similar move?

Don't do it

I did big mistake ,starts of good then you just miss all the little Gs things .
Tyres are fecked at 3 k it then doesn't hold its lineage runs wide on the bends, gearbox very clunky.
Great for covering miles on motorway though and better on fuel than a GSA.
I'm back on my triple black and love it.

No you shouldn't:rob

On the test ride, when you leave the showroom - turn right........

No - Left...........

No - right............

Err.................... :blast

Al :thumb2

Nope, but I have ridden both extensively. If you are mostly on twisty A and B roads, keep the GSA. If you are up for longer trips, abroad perhaps then the big K is superb. I took the 1600 to Eire and it was a handful on minor roads, but a real hoot on longer sections, mine had the Remus exhausts and it flew. I prefer the GS however as an all-rounder.

GS v K16

Thanks for the quick replies.

Probably already new some of the comments, may go and have a ride anyway.

Cheers

I've got both. GSA Triple Black 2012 and K1600GT 2011. The GT only has 5900 miles on it. Great for long tours on flowing roads and two up. Otherwise GS all the way. PM me if you get serious and want a chat.

I know a couple of people that sold their GSA for a GT, then went back to the GSA. Make sure you have a VERY long test ride, as it could be an expensive exercise.:rob

GT

Had a ride on a 1600 GT today.

What an engine never heard such a nice noise from a bike.

Very smooth and powerful obviously. Throttle takes a few miles to get used too, but gearbox seemed okay, I was expecting it to be a lot clunkier.

Love all the tech bits, does not feel heavy on the move and very balanced at a standstill, didn't like the screen I feel the LE screen would be better.

But after riding home on my GSA I think it's going to be another GSA when the time comes,

Worth a try though.

switch over

The k is a super bike. I made the swap from an anniversary gsa to the K16gt se.
10k miles later the K continues to impress me. It is a technology super-fest
However it absolutely eats tires and actually really needs to have good rubber otherwise the handling goes well off.

A gs is a considerably better all rounder and certainly more useful on the roads in my neck of the woods, but perhaps it is not a fair comparison, certainly more of an apples and bananas comparison. The K16gt is considerably better than any FJR or Pan European or VFR12 I have ridden. It is ponderous on small poorly surfaced country roads. The engine is a blast and the whole riding experience on the K is more akin to what i think flying a small powerful plane might be. It is a great sports tourer and is really capable as a sports bike. it is very comfortable and feels naturally balanced. Now that I can use them, I love all the gizmos.The built in gps in particular.
It does take a bit of time and a good number of miles to really get into the K16gt.
There have been some recalls and warranty work particularly on switch gear which was disappointing, (though not necessarily surprising), replacement dip stick for god's sake! Because of these issues, I would be concerned with continued ownership outside the warranty period.
My intention is to replace it with a LC 1200GS.
They are both fine bikes but are very different in so many ways.

safe riding either way.

Last edited:
GSA v GT

Yeah time came now riding my 90th SE GSA.

Sure the GT is a good bike but not for me.
:aidan

I did (but it wasn't a triple black, if that makes a difference)

Well come on ... !!

Give the man a bit of feed back! Do you like your new GT?? Do you miss your GSA?? Is this the right move for him??

:D

Owned GT two weeks now, week one stupid weather layed it up . This weekend did 849miles in three days. Rather cold in places but loved it. took lad from Norfolk to N.Wales and dropped him off. Then went to the lakes, overnight with a half day in the lakes lunch then home via M61 ,A1,A17. Found some new aches and strain points with 2.5 hrs, but put that down to new riding position.

Looking forward to getting some miles during the touring seasons.

If you are thinking of a change the 1600 GT well worth it.

Just sold my OHV GSA for a K16 GT.
Thoughts?
They are totally different bikes but the technology on the GT makes the GS feel very very old. Its super fast and super comfortable, plus I haven't needed to spend 2 days fitting all the bits and pieces that the GSA needs but the GT has as standard.
Overall very very impressed and loving the GT but accept that, with this being the GS site, I may well be in the minority!

Back
Top Bottom