Istanbul

Jonnybiscuit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Over the last 13 years I've passed through Istanbul uncountable times en-route to Eskisehir to visit a long standing Client there. Unfortunately (except for one overnight stop) I've never had the chance to explore, or do the Tourist bit.
Now it's my Mate's 66th birthday coming up (in March), so he and his Wife and me and mine are planning to visit Istanbul propper for a long weekend.

Money isn't too much of a problem (but we're not "rich"), so does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel (we like the smaller "Boutique" type) and the places/sights we shouldn't miss?

Cheers.

Over the last 13 years I've passed through Istanbul uncountable times en-route to Eskisehir to visit a long standing Client there. Unfortunately (except for one overnight stop) I've never had the chance to explore, or do the Tourist bit.
Now it's my Mate's 66th birthday coming up (in March), so he and his Wife and me and mine are planning to visit Istanbul propper for a long weekend.

Money isn't too much of a problem (but we're not "rich"), so does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel (we like the smaller "Boutique" type) and the places/sights we shouldn't miss?

Cheers.

:beerjug:Hi fella no expert but stayed last year .Sultanhammet (might be wrong spelling)is the area to stay near to all the tourist attraction The Blue mosque Aya Sophia and the Cistern are all close by .The http://www.booking.com/hotel/tr/sap...om/hotel:ws=&gclid=CJLP6eD657QCFW7HtAodriQA3A .Anyway we found it great and ideally situated ATB hughie :beerjug:

Cheers.

I would highly recommend the Turkoman hotel. I visited for a few days on the bike last year. A boutiquey place, lovely service, very well located with a roof terrace with views out to the Blue Mosque and the Bosphorous.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293974-d294932-Reviews-Hotel_Turkoman-Istanbul.html

Splendid place, I'll be going back :thumb2

Thanks both :thumb2

I had already spotted the Turkoman hotel, so that's currently at the top of my list. Always good to have a personal recommendation.

also stayed there,heres the view from the roof terrace bar :thumb2

Attachments

• DSCF2242.jpg
    DSCF2242.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 173
There are plenty of hotels in the Sultanahment area. This is a short walk from the Blue Mosque, the Aya Sophia and a little further (15 mins) from the Grand Bazaar.

We stayed at the Historia. Small rooms but perfectly ok since we spent little time in it! Just do a search on one of the tourist sites and you won't go far wrong. You can book a shuttle pick up at the airport while you're booking the hotel online in most cases.

I've already mentioned e three must see places but there's plenty more to see also. Fabulous city, friendly people. Great food and alcohol also if you wish it. Oh and if you've an interest in WW1' there's plenty of mini bus tours to Gallipoli also. That's on the agenda for the next visit.

Enjoy

Another firm vote for the Turkoman :thumb2

A nice family run hotel. The owner is a man of considerable perspicacity and clear grasp of international finance, recognising that the Scottish Pound is worth considerably less than the 'English' Pound. He valued the Scottish note to be on a par with the dollar.... And who were we to argue :D

if you want somewhere special, but not cheap, the Four Seasons in Sultanahmet is also very very nice indeed. Or the renovated Pera Palace is shrowded in history, being Agatha Christie's favourite place...

also stayed there,heres the view from the roof terrace bar :thumb2

Another firm vote for the Turkoman :thumb2

A nice family run hotel. The owner is a man of considerable perspicacity and clear grasp of international finance, recognising that the Scottish Pound is worth considerably less than the 'English' Pound. He valued the Scottish note to be on a par with the dollar.... And who were we to argue :D

If I remember rightly I got there first ...... :augie

Back
Top Bottom