K1600GT major recall?

Be interesting to read the result

I reckon it's true. I borrowed a K16GT for a few days and 1500 miles and it did this. The clunk isn't a small thump like a grear is engaging - more like a WTF was that, bang. I reported it to the dealer:nenau

Be interesting to read the result

Looks like it is already there :blagblah

{snip}

Orders

1. Mr Couling’s rejection of the motorcycle from 31 August 2012 is upheld.

2. The collateral finance agreement between Mr Couling and BMW Financial Services dated 24 May 2012 shall, with effect from 31 August 2012 vest in Experience Motorcycles Limited who shall be responsible from 31 August 2012 for all Mr Couling’s obligations under that agreement.

3. Experience Motorcycles Limited shall pay Mr Couling the following sums:
a) the capital component of all payments Mr Couling made to BMW Financial Services until 31 August 2012; and
b) the total amount of all payments Mr Couling has made to BMW Financial Services since 31 August 2012; and
c) the deposit Mr Couling paid of $5,000; and
d) the value of the motorcycle Mr Couling traded in of $14,000; and
e) the cost of Mr Sweetman’s report.

4. If there is any dispute between the parties as to the amount payable to Mr Couling in terms of the above orders leave is granted to either party to refer that matter back to the Tribunal for determination.

DATED at Auckland this 28th day of November 2012

{Snip snip}

Result: missed that, that was truly good result, credit to the guy for not putting up with it and taking it to the Courts!:clap:clap:clap

Is that how you justify your abusive behaviour?

de2emu6e.jpg

Web Site

Apparently the guy is starting up his own web site with a whole lot of information on it about the whole case. Should be very interesting.
All of this will have a huge impact on the value of all these k1600’s.
Roll on the new 2014 models (lets hope all the problems have been sorted)

Apparently the guy is starting up his own web site with a whole lot of information on it about the whole case. Should be very interesting.
All of this will have a huge impact on the value of all these k1600’s.
Roll on the new 2014 models (lets hope all the problems have been sorted)

Time will tell if K1600 values are affected by a case involving one bike.

I've seen a lot of bad press about the K1600 which is a shame as it could be a cracking bike. A recent MSL article didn't put it in good light either saying go for the R1200RT not just because of teh K1600 issues but its a better all round bike - seems a no brainer:rob

I've seen a lot of bad press about the K1600 which is a shame as it could be a cracking bike. A recent MSL article didn't put it in good light either saying go for the R1200RT not just because of teh K1600 issues but its a better all round bike - seems a no brainer:rob

Having owned both I'm in a good position to comment.

The engine is smoother and has no noticeable vibration on the 1600 and is a leap ahead of the RT.

The gearbox on the 1600 is better but the RT has the smoother drivetrain and doesn't have the same level of backlash as the 1600.

Brakes. Little in it on both bikes and I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Both have excellent brakes.

Screen. Standard screen on the 1600 is better (for me) than the RT,

Fairing. RT fairing gives better protection out of the box than the 1600.

Comfort. The 1600 has more room for rider and passenger than the RT. SWMBO rates the 1600 as the most comfortable bike she has ridden pillion on and better than the RT. Not much in it from the riders perspective, though the 1600 does have slightly more leg room than the RT.

Running costs. The RT is easier on fuel but not by as much as you would think. My RT averaged 53mpg over the time I had it and the 1600 has averaged 50.5mpg. The 1600 is harder on its tyres, with fronts lasting 6000 (7500 RT) and rears in the region of 5000 (7000 for the RT). Brake pad wear seems to be about the same for both.

Servicing would favour the 1600 for the 6 & 12k services, but the 18k is the biggie for the 1600, but I haven't had the 12 or 18K yet so I can't give specific figures.

It's not as much as a no brainer as you would think Andy. Both are very good motorcycles with pros and cons.

As this has now been highlighted and accepted that the drive train is not fit for purpose will it mean that anyone now purchasing a new bike (or even a secondhand bike) is accepting this defect and hence will not be able to claim on it.

Likewise can anyone who has purchased a bike and been fobbed off by the dealer be able to claim compensation.

Clunk click every trip:D

http://www.nzlii.org/cgi-bin/sinodisp/nz/cases/NZMVDT/2012/126.html?query=chris+bmw

Not fit for the purpose and a full refund.

Clunk worse when riding at less than 45kph in 3rd or 4th gear:blast

What do you reckon?

Interesting case and judgement, awarded to the buyer of the K16GT

For a relatively new model motorcycle, I've been suprised to see a few K16GT's traded into non BMW dealerships, for other makes of bikes by the first purchaser, in a relatively short space of time

Just an observation, mind

Not seen many GS/K13GT/RT's etc traded in within six months of launching

Just sayin' mind;)

"They all do that sir"

"It's character sir"

They may all do that but now it has been ruled in a court that it should not happen.

So now the comment from the customer will be.

"Ahhh so when are you going to fix all these bikes that have been shown to have a defect"

They may all do that but now it has been ruled in a court that it should not happen.

So now the comment from the customer will be.

"Ahhh so when are you going to fix all these bikes that have been shown to have a defect"

A tribunal in New Zealand decided that one bike had a problem. Since when did that mean that all K1600's have the problem and that the tribunal decision in one country impacted world wide?

A tribunal in New Zealand decided that one bike had a problem. Since when did that mean that all K1600's have the problem and that the tribunal decision in one country impacted world wide?

The case may not set a legal precedent here, but BMW worldwide will know about it, know that in this one case they lost, and also know that some people will be armed with that info when they reject their bikes or demand something is done about it.

If you rejected your own bike because of it and went to court, you would presumably go armed with the document linked to.......it may not carry any legal weight, but it's still a damning piece of work :nenau

According to BMW's own rep and the engineer, both the bike in question and the K16GT demo bike made the same noise...................therefore not confined to just one bike

[21] Mr Couling produced reports written by Mr John Glasswell of BMW dated 19 July and a report written by Mr Mike Thompson, also of BMW dated 20 September in which each reported on his observations in riding Mr Couling’s motorcycle compared with another demonstrator BMW K1600GT bike over a distance of 50kms in various types of riding situations. Both reports acknowledge that each of the demonstrator and Mr Couling’s motorcycle performed identically and both reports state the noise that was evident was the same on both bikes.

Does yours exhibit 'le clunk', Bob

Back
Top Bottom