Tour of the Black Sea

Whele

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In May/June this year a couple of us are planning a trip circumnavigating the Black Sea.

The first thoughts of a route are Germany, Austria, Italian dolomites, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary or Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine, Slovakia and back to Austria and Germany. All these countries can be visited with minimal paperwork (for UK citizens) , just an international driving permit and a green card is sufficient for most. Local insurance can be purchased for Turkey, Georgia and Russia if the green card cover is insufficient. The only additional requirement is a Russian visa.

The trip will be on non motorway roads, gravel tracks and a few off road mountain tracks. We have allowed 3 to 4 weeks for the trip as we like to see interesting places, not just blast through on the bike. We plan to keep the cost down using pensions, cheap guest houses and camping. We would both be happy for others to join for all or even just part of the trip. We have planned a stopping place in German that can be used on the way out or back, other than that so far nothing more has been planned yet.

We will make the visa applications later this month. If such a trip has raised your interest, please drop a message to my email address gary@whele.com or rin_sun’s email address query@oxfordpainclinic.com

Sounds like a great trip :thumb2

I met a couple of Germans on my way back from Istanbul, who had just done this trip.

They were on R100GS PD's, and had an excellent time.

haven't checked for a long time, but the last time I did it wasn't possible to cross the Georgia/Russia border. It was necessary to get a ferry from Russia to either Georgia or Turkey.

I'm planning something along these lines meself, not quite as early as you guys though. I'm not starting until early July and I'm going East to Minsk then North to Helsinki. i'll then drop into Russia and aim for a crossing into Georgia unless ExpatinIstanbul is right in which case I'll take whatever ferry is available and plan accordingly.
Good luck with your trip, I'll monitor this thread for tips!!!:augie

JC

I to will watch this with interest as myself a couple of mates are planning to do similar in a couple of years time . We will more than likely go a little further possibly into Mongolia . what bikes will you be riding ?? cant decide should we take 1200s or 650s , do we need semi road tyres or nobblies
glad we have lots of time to plan :blast

Back
Top Bottom