Classic Bike Bandwagon

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So we all know that classic bikes are rising in value, but this is really taking the proverbial piss

£3000 for a bike that is not a classic, never was and is only vintage by virtue of its age

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221178620...-/422/i.html?_sop=10&_nkw=221178620641&_rdc=1

FFS, it's a boring 125cc commuter bike - my Dad had one in the 70's to ride to work on and he probably paid £50 for it, in a similar condition

This bike doesn't even have the original engine, FFS

It isn't even a mint restored concours example

This is symptomatic of the classic bike market, which every Tom, Dick or Harry has jumped on a very dodgy bandwagon

Naturally, it won't sell........................but that's not the point

Attachments

• $T2eC16RHJHIE9nyseIsNBQ9+7q(HVQ~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16RHJHIE9nyseIsNBQ9+7q(HVQ~~60_12.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 950
Again the money factor :rolleyes:

If someone wants it, they'll buy it.

If not, they won't.

:nenau

Again the money factor :rolleyes:

If someone wants it, they'll buy it.

If not, they won't.

:nenau

Nope ....................it was just an observation on the state of how ridiculous the classic bike market has sunk to

A YAS1 is not a commuter, but a fairly desirable sports bike back when I was a boy. At least, it was if you didn't have the wedge for a 250.

Not saying its not overpriced mind....

A YAS1 is not a commuter, but a fairly desirable sports bike back when I was a boy. At least, it was if you didn't have the wedge for a 250.

Not saying its not overpriced mind....

I stand corrected then, back in the 70's as a kid I just viewed it as a boring 125, when RD250B and RD350's were a more entertaining proposition

Nope ....................just an observation on the state of how ridiculous the classic bike market has sunk to

Isn't it about the same as the classic car market?

I remember when a good E-type went for half a million, and that wasn't properly restored either.

Then the value crashed and you could get them for £15k. (my old man took a gamble and bought one for 28k, then sold it on at 15k five years later:blast....mind you, he did drive it :) )

Now, the E-type market is fractured......you can still buy a decent, solid, MOT'd late 2+2 for £15k, but if you want the much more desirable flat doored S1 V 12 coupes, in restored condition, you'll be paying the thick end of a 1/4 £million.

The same is happening, inevitably, with bikes that fat middle aged crisis geezers look back on with fondness.....google up classic 70's bikes and you'll probably find a dozen models that were, in their day, total shit to ride, yet that in the next half decade, will pile on huge amounts of money because of the rose coloured specs element.

In 10 years, that bubble will burst, and so it goes on......watch the market for ZX spectrums (or something else) go through the roof soon :thumb2

It's all a crock of shit driven by money, greed and rose specs....a shit bike is a shit bike no matter how fondly some fat bloke with a fat wallet remembers it :thumb2

It's all a crock of shit driven by money, greed and rose specs....a shit bike is a shit bike no matter how fondly some fat bloke with a fat wallet remembers it :thumb2

Stop being fattist, that bike suit a thin bloke better:D

I remember when a good E-type went for half a million, and that wasn't properly restored either.

Then the value crashed and you could get them for £15k. (my old man took a gamble and bought one for 28k, then sold it on at 15k five years later:blast....mind you, he did drive it :) ) ...................

The Fanum man speaks the truth here.
I had a mate who had a rough but very driveable E type and they were worth loads of dosh, so he sent it to a restorer, market crashed, cost to restore went up, never saw the car again.
I think he had to give the man a lot of money and let him to keep the car to settle the bill.
He won't discuss it.
But classic / vintage bike market will do similar, soon.
So if you're thinking of selling one then do it now.

I remember them well. I wouldn’t call them a commuter ‘bike, but then you could probably commute on a pair of roller skates.

Nice little ‘ying ying’ sporty two stroke, and a right laugh to ride if you revved it.

I wouldn’t pay £3K though, but then I also didn’t pay £4.5K for a mint R90S in 2008....THAT still hurts..:blast :blast :blast :blast :.......and that's the rub. In five years time, £3K for that will be considered cheap.

Mad.....innit?....

Then the value crashed and you could get them for £15k. (my old man took a gamble and bought one for 28k, then sold it on at 15k five years later:blast....mind you, he did drive it :) )

Now, the E-type market is fractured......you can still buy a decent, solid, MOT'd late 2+2 for £15k, but if you want the much more desirable flat doored S1 V 12 coupes, in restored condition, you'll be paying the thick end of a 1/4 £million.

The same is happening, inevitably, with bikes that fat middle aged crisis geezers look back on with fondness.....google up classic 70's bikes and you'll probably find a dozen models that were, in their day, total shit to ride, yet that in the next half decade, will pile on huge amounts of money because of the rose coloured specs element.

In 10 years, that bubble will burst, and so it goes on......watch the market for ZX spectrums (or something else) go through the roof soon :thumb2

Wtf is a flat doored S1 V12 :confused:
What are putting in those vapour puffing things these days, is it a Moroccan blend :D

This is symptomatic of the classic bike market, which every Tom, Dick or Harry has jumped on a very dodgy bandwagon

Or maybe it's just some plonker trying his luck and all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is actually symptomatic of old blokes getting grumpy because of cabin fever :augie

Naturally, it won't sell........................but that's not the point

Actually, that is the point.

Crappy old bikes are overvalued imho but then, some are happy to pay £2000 for a set of panniers or a waterproof suit and I think that's too much.

Original, rare, high quality machines are hard to find and may well come down a bit in price eventually but the days of getting a good G/S for £1500 or a CBX1000 for £2000 etc etc are long gone. Get over it.

Original, rare, high quality machines are hard to find and may well come down a bit in price eventually but the days of getting a good G/S for £1500 or a CBX1000 for £2000 etc etc are long gone. Get over it.

I know that, having been involved with the classic Jap scene for the last 15 years

Desirable bikes will always be sought after, but my point is that there some people out there chancing their arm with run of the mill bikes at vastly inflated & unrealistic prices

This skews the whole classic market & not in a good way for the enthusiast

It's far from a new argument, although no less true.
As far back as the 70's my mates were bemoaning the fact that the price of Brit singles had risen around the £800 mark for bread and butter models.
I was given a BSA B31 for free and paid £20 for a Vincent Comet, both in 1966 when I was a spotty teenager, too young to legally ride them.
A Brough Superior in my local bike shop was going for £40, no one wanted them then, nor the Vincents.
What was regarded then as obsolete design is now highly desirable.

The whole 'classic' thing is an enigma to me. It seems that anything that is old and still going/viable is given classic status effectively devalueing worthwhile classics.

The dull 'of no consequence' 125 commuter is just a seller trying it on but may be bought by someone overwrought with nostalgia who never got their bike licence.

The whole 'classic' thing is an enigma to me. It seems that anything that is old and still going/viable is given classic status effectively devalueing worthwhile classics.

The dull 'of no consequence' 125 commuter is just a seller trying it on but may be bought by someone overwrought with nostalgia who never got their bike licence.

Summed up to a tee and explained better than I did:clap

What seems to happen is that certain bikes that were cheap become valued and rise up in price close to those that are already regarded as 'worthwhile' classics. People then wake up to the fact the 'worthwhile' Classics have now become undervalued in comparison to the newer stuff and the 'worthwhile' stuff starts getting more valuable.

A good example is the way bikes like the R80G/S, Basic, R100GSPD have risen in price to be nearly as costly as stuff like the fifties and sixties BMW R50s and R60s. Now the earlier 'worthwhile' BMW Classics are increasing in value rapidly.
IMHO if you hanker after a fifties or sixties BMW airhead you had better move quickly because I wouldn't be surprised if they end up like Vincents and become silly money, if not this time around then at sometime in the future.

Back
Top Bottom