Morocco Algeria Tunisia?

(RIP) willstatt

Lost
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Next Spring, we want to do a loop down France and Spain... into Morocco... across top of Afvica, then ferry to Sicily and back home through Italy, Switz etc.

To get from Morocco to Tunisia, you have to cross Algeria.... anyone done it? Is it possible?

Any info much appreciated

Will

Impossible.

Those two countries have veeery bad political situation between, coz of Western Sahara and Mauritania case.

I've heard no tourists can cross the border there to Algeria or via versa. Only political dudes for official visiting.

One way is to do a circle in Maroc, then back to Europe (ferrys are quite cheap tehre, crossed 4X this year with bike), to Italy and with ferry to Tunis.

Mo

will

Algeria's better than it was but I beleive it's still difficult. How about getting the ferry from France or italy to tunisia, then ride through Libya (which is freeing up), Egypt and then back through the midlle east or back from Alexandria on the boats that go from there?

Simon

Spoke with some Germans last year who had ridden into Northern Algeria from Tunisia. They said they had stayed away from big towns and had not experianced any problems. I'm not sure where they went exactly, but they said they had been travelling for several days. Best bet for info is www.horizonsunlimited.com

Algeria

Thanks for all the response. Having found out a lot more now, We've decided that Algeria is probably not a good idea. After all, it's nice to be relaxed when you're touring, not worrying whether you're going to be in the next hostage video on News at Ten!

So we're going to nail it down through Spain, and then have a good old explore in Morocco: Go to Merzouga and Erg Chebbi; up into the High Atlas etc etc.

From the look of this section, there will be quite a few UKgsers out there at the same time.

When I went on the offroad tour with Motoaventures in 2000, we went from Zagora to Merzouga offroad, although from memory most of it was GSable. About half way, we stopped for the night at a Berber camp.. in tents... bloody fantastic! Wonder if it's possible to do similar again... anyone know?

Thanks for all the tips/info

Will

Re: Algeria

willstatt said:
About half way, we stopped for the night at a Berber camp.. in tents... bloody fantastic! Wonder if it's possible to do similar again... anyone know?

Check with the Desert Inn outside Erfoud. They organised something similar for us this year.

Not sure if they have a website, but lots of sites list them.

:beerjug:

Jon

Back
Top Bottom