LC Service intervals a disgrace

oldnfat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have no doubt the new LC will be fantastic and the bike to beat for many years to come. However, what I simply cannot fathom is that with all the development and the finer tolerances allowed by water cooling, service intervals remain at 6K.

I can only reason it is a money making scam from what are already some of the most expensive service costs in the industry.

for a supposed high mileage bike...and for those of us who do high miles, this is mightily disappointing.....

....dumb on my part for thinking the money god would not dictate service intervals...i'm off back to the commune.

Agreed, it's a pisstake.

The Triumph is 10,000 miles irrespective of time so it could be 3 year intervals for the average punter but they do 'offer' and annual inspection at low cost if requested.

I'm not sure what you are expecting of liquid-cooling, to be honest :nenau

Al :confused:

If motorcycling is to be encouraged there's three things the manifacturers can do to tempt people away from their cages: lower the initial purchase price, lower the running costs by increasing service intervals and get the avg mpg up to 60+

If motorcycling is to be encouraged there's three things the manifacturers can do to tempt people away from their cages: lower the initial purchase price, lower the running costs by increasing service intervals and get the avg mpg up to 60+

Sounds almost like the Honda NC700X.....Less than 6 grand new, 75 MPG and 8,000 miles service intervals......;)

I'm not sure what you are expecting of liquid-cooling, to be honest :nenau

Al :confused:

The Triumph is liquid cooled, as is the MTS, KTM so they set expectations. Perhaps they use more robust liquid!

My cars are 20,000 miles and my sports car is 10,000 miles between service and they are liquid cooled.

Sounds almost like the Honda NC700X.....Less than 6 grand new, 75 MPG and 8,000 miles service intervals......;)

Yes, and it is the best selling bike in Italy, home of performance bikes! My mate who uses one to commute to London keeps trying for 85mpg!!!

Also, the first service is bo....ks, 600 miles after PDI (CHARGED AND PAID FOR).

There is no first service on the cars I have recently purchased.

OK , it's a safety issue.......bo....ks again. Why are you engineering an unsafe bike? It basically it's there to reduce warranty charges imop.

VW 1.4TSI bungs out 160bhp with a twin turbo/supercharger so is in a pretty high state of tune; no first service and condition based servicing there after which works out roughly 10-12,000 miles. When that service comes up it's half the price of a WBM bike service at a main dealer.

Yeah, I think they are taking the piss :)

Andres

Okay, let me pose the question this:

What magical attribute do you see that liquid cooling brings to the boxer engine - that the air-cooled one doesn't?

I thought BMW at 12k was already better than Triumph at 10k????

What magical attribute do you see that liquid cooling brings to the boxer engine - that the air-cooled one doesn't?

I am sure Puckmeister will be along soon to put me right but here goes. Firstly the thermodynamics of a regulated temperature allows finer tolerances which means better emissions, fuel and oil efficiency. It also means less expansion/contraction of parts and operation at a cooler temp all of which adds up to less stress hence lower service intervals.

That and 8 years advancement in alloys and design should all add up to longer service intervals...and less consumables for those green folk..as it seems to with every other manufacturer....and

I don't, it's just another complication but BMW do. They claim that it is needed to meet future emission regulation. So that's about complete combustion of the nasty bits

VW 2 litre TDI, light came on at 22,000 - Service £107 all in.

R1200 GS, every year or 6000 - £260 all in.

Guess which one left a bad taste in my mouth?

Yes, and it is the best selling bike in Italy, home of performance bikes!

Second (at least until november as I recollect). The first one was still the GS back then.
The Italian market is pretty different from the UK one. Most of the bikes are used for a few months over spring only. ;)
I saw a much more "practical" use of bikes here in the UK.

That said, I don't see the massive problem over servicing the bike every 6k (10k km) miles, given that the major services are every 12k miles (expensive at 20/40/60/80/100k km - sorry I am used to kilometers, not miles).

I used to drive the bike for over 30.000km per year for a few years.
What was really expensive back then was the tyres, not the servicing :D

Life is full of compromises.

The WC is not a true water-cooled engine, it's a compromise.

Perhaps the service intervals reflect that compromise and are shortened for the (still) largely air/oil-cooled nature of the motor? :nenau

Full service and MOT on my Toyota Van last week, at a Toyota Main Dealer - very similar to a 12k 2 year GS service

Oil and Filter
Diff Oil
Gearbox Oil
Coolant flush and change
Brake Fluid change
Diesel Filter change
Air filter change
Remote battery for key fob change
Screenwash
MOT
Lube/check/adjust everything else

All for the princely sum of £275, at main franchised dealer

Bike servicing is a complete joke, price wise in comparison and a GS service would be over £400 for less jobs done

I agree it should be longer intervals and cheaper:thumb

Much smaller market for bikes as opposed to cars...probably one of the reasons servicing etc is more expensive. You basically pay your money and make your choice.....you know when you buy the bike what its going to cost you to run it.

I definitely agree, 6k servicing is the only negative that I can find with the GS. As I have a couple of bikes, the annual mileage on the GS is normally around 6k, but if it was my only bike I would not be happy. :rob

Why can't they offer a service inclusive package for 3 years as they do on their cars:nenau

Back
Top Bottom