Tank bags?

Black Cloud

Reaction score
I have my shiny new GS TE on order, collecting on 7 March (13 days.....), from Bahnstormer Alton. But, anyone have ideas about what kind of tank bag is going to fit? My 1150 had a metal tank, '04 1200 went to plastic, needing a change to a bags connection tank lock system. '07 changed the fuel filler cap. What's the situation with the LC then? Any ideas? I've been "abroad" for the last 6 months so have been able to get to any shows and see in the flesh.....

I've ordered one of these with the bike...

bmw R 1200 GS Accessories.
larg e tank bag.
• Waterproof, high-functionality tank bag.
• Hard-wearing PVC-coated polyester fabric.
• Bottom is moulded EVA, shaped for a snug fit on the fuel tank and with an anti-slip PU surface layer.
• Main compartment:
– Capacity approx.11 litres, extendable to approx. 15 litres.
– Liner made of nylon fabric with PU coating.
– Waterproof with roll-and-seal closure with bayonet buckle and taped seams.
– Lockable.
• Waterproof map compartment with anti-clip PU coating on the inside.
• Water-repellent zippered outside pocket with bottle-holder function.
– A pullcord on the inside secures a 0.5 l PET bottle where it is quickly accessible on a short stop.
• Carry handle and removable shoulder strap.
• Colour: Black

Have you got a link to this? I've found one online, but it looks like it's designed for the previous GSA... I've got a bag that fits one of those, but I'm guessing it's not going to fit the LC

something like this

Attachments

• 18-03-2014 18-07-34.jpg
    18-03-2014 18-07-34.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 777
IMO - the best solution are the SW Motech bag connections in what ever size you prefer ;)

the adventure model tank bag is 15 to 21 litre, may fit but it is £180

Trust me it's tiny we took ours back!

It was , and also the tank bag created a lot of wind turbulance behind the screen which made it a pain , a bigger one ( tho I have not tried it) must be worse. Luggage behind rider / pillion is always better IMHO

I have the little 8 litre one and it is a bit of hand bag sized item but you can get quite bit in it, if you do not want some great monstrosity perched on the tank in front of you. Remember these have to come off to fill up and I am not sure if you can flip up a big bag when you fill up or if it has to come right off, then falls onto oily diesel smelling forecourt. (Mine did the first time as I completely unclipped it, DOH). Also despite what BMW suggest the top map pocket aint 100% waterproof in a monsoon. Not noticed turbulence issue but don't know any different there... Pricey for what it is I feel, but it does exactly what it should. Maybe these tank filler clip ons are better. It is funny but it also makes the bike feel bigger, but it is also a handy place to rest your elbow when using cruise control.

I have the Bags connection 'daypack II' which I have run power to for charging stuff when touring. Expanded, I have a unobstructed view of the dash, seems just about perfect for me.

I'll post up picks if you require.........................

As requested by PM.....................

Tank Ring fitted to Fuel cap ring.
DSC01174_zps2e85dd1d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tank bag on tank ring (Un expanded).
DSC01176_zps68bda6be.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Parts for having power in the bag..... One Hella plug to Gerbing socket lead. One Gerbing plug to twin cigarette socket and twin USB outlets. I have fitted spade connectors just in case I need to adapt the power for something else.
DSC01178_zpsccad7918.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Power lead going to the cockpit socket. I used a velcro retainer strap to stop the lead flapping about.
DSC01179_zpsf2f2c79c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bag now ready to charge almost anything.
DSC01180_zpsa8ac526b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The bag fully expanded. I have the power, plus a full wet over suit in the bag. You won't get anything else in.
DSC01182_zpsc66284b3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Front view.
DSC01183_zps27960a3b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

View from the riders seat with the bag fully expanded. I have lowered suspension, the low seat and I'm 5'9". Just to give you some idea of what you could get away with with your own height.
DSC01184_zpsec62e3ba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Warning..............

I've discovered a issue with the accessory socket that powers my tank bag.

In the third photo, showing the items I used to charge my bits and pieces, there is a multi outlet unit (2 Cigarette, and 2 USB's). Well this unit is lit when powered with led's. The cigarette sockets are lit blue.

Last weekend, I left the tank bag on the bike and plugged into the accessory socket. I then turned the ignition off and locked up.

Yesterday (Sat), I went to the bike to find it with a dead battery. It seems the led's in the multi outlet unit trigger the bikes canbus into thinking the BMW charger is plugged in, and keeps the socket live. This allowed the led's to slowly drain the bikes battery.

So beware................ Don't leave anything plugged into the accessory socket, as you could come back to a dead bike.

I tried to simulate the problem by just plugging the tank bag in with the bike already turned off, but the socket was already off.
You have to have something plugged into the socket while the bike is running, and then turn off the ignition for this senario to happen.

I have the 'large' BMW bag: yes, it is smaller than I expected, but surprisingly commodious when the expansion zip is undone. And the quality is good

The Givi Tanklock bags are a good alternative to the bags connection ones. Just ordered one for my GS but it's not here yet Had one on my old bike a GTR1400 which was spot on. I'll post some pics next week

I've discovered a issue with the accessory socket that powers my tank bag.

Last weekend, I left the tank bag on the bike and plugged into the accessory socket. I then turned the ignition off and locked up.

Yesterday (Sat), I went to the bike to find it with a dead battery. It seems the led's in the multi outlet unit trigger the bikes canbus into thinking the BMW charger is plugged in, and keeps the socket live. This allowed the led's to slowly drain the bikes battery.

There are 4 LEDs there, they did stay on for 168 hours... Yes, they will drain Your battery

Back
Top Bottom