Cleaning Aluminium bits

(RIP) maverick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So took little Gringo for it's anuall wash and are really having problems with getting the Aluminium parts clean. This would be the shaft housing, bevel box housing etc. Did use a expensive degreaser but it does not get all the old oil and road abuse out of the metal.

Any ideas which will not involve me and a toothbrush for hours?

Thanks
:gringo

cleaning alu / parafin cheap alternative

in the past I have used parafin as it's very cheap----splosh loads of it on via a wee hand spray and buy a pack of cheap paintbrushes from B&Q to work it in. Then wash the parafin off with a little degreaser and then water.
Nothing beats a bit of elbow grease though.
To keep the alloy clean I use a pure brass bristle brush attachment for the drill (beware brass covered steel--this will scratch) and a brush used for cleaning suede shoes (these are pure brass also)

Agh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave - for Ch**** sake don't mention cellulose thinners like that!!! Some clot will think "Ooh that's good what if I try it on the paint work and the plastic bits?"

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT - YOU'LL RUIN BOTH.

Yes that could happen, I once uesd grinding paste to get a scratch out of the bonnet of my car, my misses used JIFF to wash my car with, neat staight on to the car, gloss car matt roof.

When I was a kid ( last year ) polished mothers 4.2 Jaguar with a tampon I found in the glove pocket.

In a previous post somewhere in our ever expanding BB, sopmeone mentioned they use a product called Alibrite (or maybe it was Alubrite). and apparently it even removes s**t from blankets. Available from ironmongers and DIY stores I imagine. I need to find some as well, I have an R100GS and an R100RS that need some TLC.

Try using clean engine oil (like dissolves like), then something like Motorex.

I find clean engine oil is a great "solvent" for oily goo and actually works well. Then I use Motorex (generally available from many motorcycle dealerships) and use this liberally. It is not harsh, reactive or solvent so no risk of any damage.

Avoid all the really heavy degreasers as they take too much off.

Good luck.

Alubright

drbobjenkins said:
a product called Alibrite I need to find some as well, I have an R100GS and an R100RS that need some TLC.

Hi Bob

Found this on the net so will give it a bash. Will email them and find out some prices as the smallest amount seems to be 5 liters.

http://www.sevchem.freeserve.co.uk/transchem.htm

Cheers
:gringo

drbobjenkins said:
...and apparently it even removes s**t from blankets
How do people find this stuff out? Is there someone out there who thinks, "Hmm, had a bit too much curry and beer last night and had a bit of an accident. I wonder if aluminium cleaner will shift it?"

A tip from men who keep big ships running, use diesel. It's one of the best degreasers there is.

Petrol is okay, but diesel also coats the surface in a protective layer, even when wiped clean. So limiting corrosion.

jono

for me the problem is not only degreasing, it is also getting the oxide off, for example, my Akront rims.

I dont know if I dare mention this...but I use hydrofluric acid to remove feacal matter from my bedding....works a treat too.

..-that is what you call a high risk strategy Dave. The most important thing though is not to use elbow grease, the addition of fatty materials just make things worse...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom