UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What are the 'definitive' accessories ?

Other than panniers etc

I think I'd only fit a front fender extender & mudflap - then see how I went

Other than panniers etc

JB, if I was a BMW Salesman, I'd be seeing all your posts as buying signals.........:D

Sat Nav

Does anybody know if any garmin sat nav's will fit the factory prepared bracket on the new GS,i am thinking of buying a sat nav today for my 2012 model and hoping it will fit my next GS ie:wc next year :confused:.

Does anybody know if any garmin sat nav's will fit the factory prepared bracket on the new GS,i am thinking of buying a sat nav today for my 2012 model and hoping it will fit my next GS ie:wc next year :confused:.

The 660 looks like it will for but might not work

JB, if I was a BMW Salesman, I'd be seeing all your posts as buying signals.........:D

I'm very interested (subject to a test ride in March) & just working out the permutations of how many & which bikes I need to sell perhaps

The salesman lead me to believe that the 660 would fit in the cradle but only work as a touch screen, there would be no functionality with the control wheel on the left hand grip.
Anyone tried this out yet?

The 660 looks like it will for but might not work

I can tell you the 660 does fit the mount however the wheel will not control the unit.

I was very surprised a pleased to find the mount is lockable - a bit of a struggle first time getting the zumo in and out but after that it was fine. Takes more running in than the bike!

Although only plastic it seems pretty strong. The zumo is powered by the mount and as that's through the can bus, it's not constant.

It still uses the garmin mount at the core so, I'm just about the swap it for the original mount and wire that in as I don't like Bluetooth headsets and the original zumo mount has a jack for sound..

The sad thing is the wheel on the right bar did more than I thought - apart from setting a full route you can control most of the nav IV. The nav also feeds back in to the bike so the time and date can be synchronised via GPS. There are several other functions in the bike hand book so...... If you are off to buy a new nav and can afford the nav IV I'd say it could be worth it.

I am going to look around the web and see if I can find any word of a hack for the Nav IV that I can load in to the garmin zumo but I doubt I'll find much.

BMW could make some money here buy offering the firmware out to all that have zumo's...!

It will fit but will not integrate with the on board wheel controller or auto set the date and time in the dash.

It will be powered and the touch screen will work.

The 660 wil cost considerably less than the BMW unit and the 660 will provide in addition a suction mount and power lead for the car plus m/cycle mount and power lead.......all these additional items cost over £100 if purchased separately. You will also save over £100 on purchase v. BMW unit.

It's all down to cost to the individual, but if it was me, I'd save up/sell something to buy the BMW Nav, to get the full functionality with the thumb wheel. :thumb

It's all down to cost to the individual, but if it was me, I'd save up/sell something to buy the BMW Nav, to get the full functionality with the thumb wheel. :thumb
Yes, that will be my preferred option. How much is the Nav 1V at the moment, I think I recall a figure of £600, but am not sure if that's right?

Are you serious? :D

Andres

Only a bit:D

TBH I've never had crashbars on any BMW GS I've has (except the 1150GSA that came with them) and on Airheads/1100's that I've bought s/hand they are the first things i've take off

I fecking hate them with a passion (like HID lights), iron girders around a motorcycle.........argggh

So no - as long as I can ride the bike, I wouldn't put them on

Though with you and Ash, with your disabilities - I can see the need:thumb

Other than panniers etc

I would go for the basic spec with heated grips and then spend the gizmo money on a set of Ohlins :thumb

Only a bit:D

TBH I've never had crashbars on any BMW GS I've has (except the 1150GSA that came with them) and on Airheads/1100's that I've bought s/hand they are the first things i've take off

I fecking hate them with a passion (like HID lights), iron girders around a motorcycle.........argggh

I recon they would help protect the flush box. I was impressed with the rad protection but a bit more would be good.

Standard spec with heated grips for me. Instead of the bars I went for a pair of these from TT, neater, cheaper, and easier to replace if need be.
RiKDSe9.jpg

Nav IV I think i was quoted £620 which was no surprise, but as my bike isnt nav prepped, a whopping £200 for the mounting bar + fitting cost. TT do brackets but they sit low on the handlebars, I prefer the unit up above the clocks

Last edited:

:dabone

Although, joking aside, I've lost count of the times I've lost my balance and down she's gone whilst moving her around in the garage. And as for off-roading her............ :eek:

A worthwhile investment for me then :)

55_zps406c60ca.jpg

DSCF2616_zps83da657d.jpg

Andres-R12GSMud_zps0104814d.jpg

Andres

Back
Top Bottom