Test ride this morning

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had a test ride booked for several weeks and rolled up to the dealers at 10am this morning for my long awaited appraisal of the new beast.

Having gone through the obligatory demonstration of the controls,the bike was fired up, and it sounds very nice, on I jumped and set off across the car park,immediately the bike felt much lighter than my present twin cam.

Having set off down the road I had to stop after about 200yds as my foot kept fouling on something as I tried to change gear,it turned out to be the arm that you use to put the side stand down,I don't have massive feet and wasn't wearing massive boots but it interfered with my gear change throughout the test,although once I knew what it was I was able to tuck my foot underneath it,but would have to address it if I where to buy one.

That sorted off we go, and dear me did we go!
This bike pulls like a train and feels very light,at first it all felt a little skittish with it's instant get up and go and it's light front end,but after a few miles I got used to the feel and really started to enjoy the bike.

As I've said it feels very light on the move and flicks through the bends like a bike half its size,sit behind any vehicle at anywhere down to 45 mph in top gear and when your ready to go just go,there's no hesitation,it most probabley accelerates from 45mph in top gear as quickly as mine does in 4th.

The brakes are beautifully balanced and I found it hard to upset the bike even breaking very hard before some very tight bends on the back roads.

If there's anywhere I didn't feel the WC felt as good as mine it was on those very tight gnarly back roads,it still felt a little skittish although putting the ESA into rain mode rectified much of this,plus it was on the new Tourances which may not be as suited to these kind of gravelly roads as the originals.

I spent around two hours on the bike and it felt very comfortable,the dash looked good and all the controls were easy to use,the screen was almost as effective as my adventure screen and winglets.

To be honest apart from a couple of little things that were purely personal it's a hard bike to fault and an easy bike to praise,if it's got a down side it's that it will bring the hooligan out in some folks,he was definitely starting to rear his head for the last 45mins of my little ride.

All in all I though it was a fantastic bit of kit.
I expected to get back on my bike and for it to feel dated and like a big lump of lard.
Strangely it didn't.

Steve.

I've had a test ride booked for several weeks and rolled up to the dealers at 10am this morning for my long awaited appraisal of the new beast.

Having gone through the obligatory demonstration of the controls,the bike was fired up, and it sounds very nice, on I jumped and set off across the car park,immediately the bike felt much lighter than my present twin cam.

Having set off down the road I had to stop after about 200yds as my foot kept fouling on something as I tried to change gear,it turned out to be the arm that you use to put the side stand down,I don't have massive feet and wasn't wearing massive boots but it interfered with my gear change throughout the test,although once I knew what it was I was able to tuck my foot underneath it,but would have to address it if I where to buy one.

That sorted off we go, and dear me did we go!
This bike pulls like a train and feels very light,at first it all felt a little skittish with it's instant get up and go and it's light front end,but after a few miles I got used to the feel and really started to enjoy the bike.

As I've said it feels very light on the move and flicks through the bends like a bike half its size,sit behind any vehicle at anywhere down to 45 mph in top gear and when your ready to go just go,there's no hesitation,it most probabley accelerates from 45mph in top gear as quickly as mine does in 4th.

The brakes are beautifully balanced and I found it hard to upset the bike even breaking very hard before some very tight bends on the back roads.

If there's anywhere I didn't feel the WC felt as good as mine it was on those very tight gnarly back roads,it still felt a little skittish although putting the ESA into rain mode rectified much of this,plus it was on the new Tourances which may not be as suited to these kind of gravelly roads as the originals.

I spent around two hours on the bike and it felt very comfortable,the dash looked good and all the controls were easy to use,the screen was almost as effective as my adventure screen and winglets.

To be honest apart from a couple of little things that were purely personal it's a hard bike to fault and an easy bike to praise,if it's got a down side it's that it will bring the hooligan out in some folks,he was definitely starting to rear his head for the last 45mins of my little ride.

All in all I though it was a fantastic bit of kit.
I expected to get back on my bike and for it to feel dated and like a big lump of lard.
Strangely it didn't.

Steve.

A good description - I don't have a problem with my foot fouling the sidestand but we are all made differently :D It's a bit clonky going into first gear but apart from that it is utterly brilliant - the performance is definitely a significant step up from the twin-cam that's for sure, almost scarily so :D the engine spins up sooo fast but there is still lots of engine braking, tis weird.

How BMW made it feel so light I can't fathom, maybe this mass centralisation stuff.

the new gs

i too went for a test on one,anybody in the market for a 08 gs can chat with me about mine,i want the wc gs just lovely,a bit more power makes all the diffarence especially when 2 up fully loaded.

Great write up :thumb2
I'm looking to get a test ride in a few weeks time and also need to test it 2 up.
From the reviews on here I think I'm going to love it.

:beerjug:

Did 200 miles today and have to agree this bike can hooligan with the best. Knock it down a gear or two and it flies........ seems much more than 125 bhp to me especially after a 1200 Multistrada.

I'm liking it:D

Did 200 miles today and have to agree this bike can hooligan with the best. Knock it down a gear or two and it flies........ seems much more than 125 bhp to me especially after a 1200 Multistrada.

I'm liking it:D

I've only ridden a Multistrada for about 30mls,but after about 10mls on the GS lc I was thinking how much like the multi strada it was only much more refined.
It caught me out a couple of times around town when I was in 3rd and should have been in 2nd,my TC would have just chunckuled through it but the new bike became very snatchy.
Not knocking the bike I loved it,it just needs riding slightly differently,I've now got to decide if I wish to ride slightly differently :green gri:green gri

Steve

Joanne has bet me £20 I'll have one ordered by Friday,so I might just wait until Saturday

That write up has convinced me that curiosity needs to be looked into and a test ride arranged.

Hmmm, I remember what happened last time I went for a curiosity test ride. :blast

I've now got to decide if I wish to ride slightly differently :green gri:green gri

That's the crux of bikes

When I had my 12GSA (not twincam) I found that I had to adapt my riding after riding 1100GS and 1150GSA's

After 4 months of ownership, I sold it because I wasn't really wanting to ride differently

I hope the LC test ride proves it not to be the same, when I tried the twincams I found the motor a lot better than earlier 1200's with more low down grunt

I've only ridden a Multistrada for about 30mls,but after about 10mls on the GS lc I was thinking how much like the multi strada it was only much more refined.
It caught me out a couple of times around town when I was in 3rd and should have been in 2nd,my TC would have just chunckuled through it but the new bike became very snatchy.
Not knocking the bike I loved it,it just needs riding slightly differently,I've now got to decide if I wish to ride slightly differently :green gri:green gri

Steve

Joanne has bet me £20 I'll have one ordered by Friday,so I might just wait until Saturday

Steve

When I owned the Multistrada (12k miles of manic fun) I thought it was the best road engine I had ever owned........still do to some extent........as it was turbine smooth when in the sweet spot and with a very wide rev band. It was truly explosively ballistic and I do not know how I avoided going straight to jail.

The Wasserboxer, when in the rev zone, is a delight as well but the rev band is narrower in comparison but that does not detract as it has so much character and is fun to 'get right' with some real punch in all gears, so much better than the old engine ( I never tried the twin cam).

The power level at 125 bhp and wide spread of accessible torque is perfectly judged as more power would deliver less in that it would become Ducati ballistic and 'flighty'.

I really do think BMW have got this power/torque/gear ratio spot on. It is an 'and' bike......an all day perfect tourer and a holligan when needed/wanted.

:green gri:green gri

Steve

Same debate when the 1200 was first introduced and the 1150 diehards resented the change in Torque range and character.

BMW never looked back as the 1200 drew new punters to the marque, me included.......well from an underpowered but fun 1150 RT

No doubt that you will get one.
But in what colour will be the hard part for you.

My test ride is booked for this weekend, if it's as good as everyone reckons then there will be a shed load of twincams on the market.
Makes me wonder though, what will it be like when covered in mud,running on low grade fuel and in 40 degree + heat ?
The old GS would cope, lets wait and see.........

I test rode one yesterday.

It was utterly superb. The twin cams are good enough but this is even better.

Well done BMW

I'm test riding one tomorrow. Too late if I don't like it, but I don't think that will happen:beerjug:

When I had GSs the biggest feature for me was the seat height and flexibility of the engine.

The bike seems much smaller so more cramped and I'm surprised it will only pull from 45mph in top.It seems in trying to catch up with the opposition ( which still has 25 more bhp) BMW have removed the biggest plus point of the bike in the first place.

That's the crux of bikes

When I had my 12GSA (not twincam) I found that I had to adapt my riding after riding 1100GS and 1150GSA's

After 4 months of ownership, I sold it because I wasn't really wanting to ride differently

I hope the LC test ride proves it not to be the same, when I tried the twincams I found the motor a lot better than earlier 1200's with more low down grunt

It's been a bit of an epiphany today.
I think I now have a greater insight into the never ending debate as to whether the 80,100,1100,1150,or the 1200 was the best bike,they were all great bikes in their time and the new bike is no exception.

The exception is our individual riding style,and naturally folks think the best bike is the one which suits their riding style,and of course for them it is.

As you've pointed out John,after ownership of a 1200 you realised it didn't suit your riding style.

I'm thinking today that I've spent a couple of hours riding what is unarguably
a fantastic bike,but if I owned one I'd have to change my riding style to get the best out of it,is that something I want to do ?

The only person that can decide that is me,and if I decide to keep my present bike it doesn't mean that in my mind it's a better bike than the new LC it just means that it's better suited to my needs and style at this time.

Steve

It's been a bit of an epiphany today.
I think I now have a greater insight into the never ending debate as to whether the 80,100,1100,1150,or the 1200 was the best bike,they were all great bikes in their time and the new bike is no exception.

The exception is our individual riding style,and naturally folks think the best bike is the one which suits their riding style,and of course for them it is.

As you've pointed out John,after ownership of a 1200 you realised it didn't suit your riding style.

I'm thinking today that I've spent a couple of hours riding what is unarguably
a fantastic bike,but if I owned one I'd have to change my riding style to get the best out of it,is that something I want to do ?

The only person that can decide that is me,and if I decide to keep my present bike it doesn't mean that in my mind it's a better bike than the new LC it just means that it's better suited to my needs and style at this time.

Steve

Well said Steve

That sums it up:thumb

After riding Oilhead GS's since 1997, my riding style has evolved into one, that rides off the waves of torque from a hugely flexible, if not a particularly fast engine

I like a fairly short 5th (1100) or 6th (1150GSA) gear and just ride the torque, mainly riding between 60-80mph in open countryside on A & B roads

I tend to never use the brakes on a clear road, maybe just shutting off and using the engine braking or as necessary dropping it a cog to stay off the brakes

That has evolved into a smooth riding style, without any excesses of either throttle or brakes (which to my mind makes for an erratic and messy ride)

The 1150GSA suits my style to a tee, being well planted and also having the ability to cover ground quickly

Fast bikes and big HP have no attraction for me

Back
Top Bottom