Charging problems on the airhead.....

Daithi

Reaction score
The bike is a 1990 R100GS P/D, I've noticed the charging bulb doesn't flicker at low revs after a spin and doesn't come on after I turn off and on the ignition. The reason for this is overcharging, I'm getting up to 16.4v across the terminals at mid revs. This, to me, suggests that because the reg is overcharging the battery the charge of the battery is something like 14v even when stopped..... is it just the regulator or something more serious ?
Cheers, Daithi.

Daithi have you a decent meter?

I had one that would give me 17v on a battery on the shelf that had been off charge for 12 hours or more

Overcharging is not a fault airheads "usually" suffer from :aidan

Yip, the meter is a very good one and double checked it with a cheaper one which read the same. Starts at 12v and climbs as the revs go up, I'm hoping its just a bad earth on the regulator or that the regulator is blown. I'll check for good connections and if that doesn't sort it I'll see about sourcing an adjustable one. Just hoping I won't need a new charging system...

Check the plug under the regulator it develops that green pooh and can give a high resistance

You should be able to just change the regulator to sort voltage excess

As I said it's usually voltage missing with airheads

Has Jimmy Ellis or anyone close to you not got one spare to try ??

Yip, the meter is a very good one and double checked it with a cheaper one which read the same. Starts at 12v and climbs as the revs go up, I'm hoping its just a bad earth on the regulator or that the regulator is blown. I'll check for good connections and if that doesn't sort it I'll see about sourcing an adjustable one. Just hoping I won't need a new charging system...

In my experience no charging light when ign on was due to rotor failure - though this wouldn't tally with high charging voltage. So I'll plump for faulty regulator.

Useful diagnostic pages posted here by Rob F
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2577187&postcount=13

If you need a spare diode board to test give me a call. I should have a rotor too but not certain of its condition.

Daithi
I have a copy of Rick Jones book ...classic boxer charging and a spare regulator if you need. I'm living in Waterford now if you're passing this way.....

Steve

Daithi
I have a copy of Rick Jones book ...classic boxer charging and a spare regulator if you need. I'm living in Waterford now if you're passing this way.....

Steve
Thanks for the offers lads but I'd be slow to use any of your spares in case I'd blow them. I've picked up a can of contact
cleaner and will have a look at the diode board and regulator this evening. Fingers crossed the problem is only the regulator.

Daithi, I have the BMW repair manual in electronic format, I found it online.

There is lots of good info about testing the electrical system in it. If you cant find it online, I could e mail it to you.

Hope you get sorted,

Damien

Diode board

I have no logical reason to think it will be the diode board , I just have a feeling it is :nenau

Well, I'm getting a very healthy 13.7 volts, it was a fried regulator.

Thanks for the help lads, the Donkey is flyin !

Edit: Sorry Damien, missed yer post. I have a copy of that book and very useful it was. Thanks muchly !!!

Back
Top Bottom