Nice day for a ride

Nutty

Reaction score
Finally, I test rode the new LC GS today. Needless to say it is an amazing motorcycle, on a whole new level to the already excellent twin cam.

The seat being narrower gives a shorter reach to the ground, so should suit shorter riders better. They say its a few kilos heavier than the last GS, but as soon as you move off, it feels much lighter. As the tank is narrower, it feels like you are riding a smaller bike, but you have to remember you're riding a wide bike when you start lane splitting!

The power is much more responsive than the TC, and you don't get the 50mph drone in 5th gear that the last incarnation was known for. It's much more flickable in the twisties, and low speed handling is much easier. I found myself making much tighter turns on this bike, compared with my last. I rode the bike in road mode, and then tried dynamic, which livens everything up, and allows wheelies and more fun!:D The brakes are much better than the last bike, especially the rear brake, and the Brembos certainly don't disappoint!

If you're a fan of tech, this bike won't disappoint you. There are loads of screens and menus in the computer. I tried out the cruise control while riding through a 30mph limit, and its very easy to operate. The adjustable screen is a godsend, allowing you to find the sweet spot while riding. If you have short arms, you can engage the cruise control and adjust the screen with your right hand, as long as there's no traffic in front:D.

Finally, the stability of the bike was rock solid. I didn't take too much notice of the head shake reports, and wanted to try the bike for myself first. I had some time on some open roads and got to feel the performance, however, most of my ride was down single track lanes, with hairpins, ruts, potholes and loads of mud. At one point i looked down, and was doing 80mph down a bumpy lane (this bike gets up there very quickly:D), and the bike was rock solid. I didn't try taking any potholes at 80 while riding one handed and waving at onlookers as some of the journo's did, so am still here in one piece.:rolleyes:

The only negatives that I can think of are the indicator switch, which I really don't like, and the numbers on the speedo are a bit small, but I'll get used to those in time.

IMO, BMW has hit the nail firmly on the head with this bike. I can't wait to get hold of mine, and am looking forward to putting some miles on the clock in the coming months.:beerjug:

Ditto

Only points IMO were the position of the gear leaver too much inboard - kept missing up changes at first. BMW certainly missed a massive marketing feature by not having a more in your face readout for the various Modes. Green for dynamic Dynamic Red for rain and azure for road. Couldn't see most of the display (s) in the lovely sun shine. Boy does it GOooo!

I also found the gear lever too inboard, guess you adjust to it. Also wish they had gone digital for the speedo. The Multistrada's display is just so easy to read.
On my RT I've put an orange marker at 60 so I can guess at a glance how fast I'm going, and the new GS speedo is even smaller :-(

New GS

I also found the gear lever too inboard, guess you adjust to it. Also wish they had gone digital for the speedo. The Multistrada's display is just so easy to read.
On my RT I've put an orange marker at 60 so I can guess at a glance how fast I'm going, and the new GS speedo is even smaller :-(

You can display the speed digitally on the LCD display(small but usable):thumb
Its a really nice bike, but I'm waiting for the adventure version:D

So you're not disappointed then :)

Bet you're counting the days now then eh! :thumb

Glad u liked it nutty.....only problem now is you will be REALLY wishing ur time away until u get our own. I had another lovely ride today on mine...roll on a warm Easter like the last couple of years :D:D

Glad you finally got to test one Nutty and that it lived up to your expectations.:thumb2
I bet you must be bouncing off the walls now waiting for yours to arrive.:D

You can display the speed digitally on the LCD display(small but usable):thumb
Its a really nice bike, but I'm waiting for the adventure version:D

That's very interesting, thanks. Will ask the dealer to show me how to do it.

That's very interesting, thanks. Will ask the dealer to show me how to do it.

Why wait when you can Google it? Oh alright I'll do it for you. :rolleyes:

BMWR1200GSLC.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/punK_O76-ck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finally, I test rode the new LC GS today.

IMO, BMW has hit the nail firmly on the head with this bike. I can't wait to get hold of mine, and am looking forward to putting some miles on the clock in the coming months.:beerjug:

At the risk of taking flack, have you checked on your build date Nutty? Found out today that mine has moved forward a week from week 11, so being built this week :thumb

Why wait when you can Google it? Oh alright I'll do it for you. :rolleyes:

BMWR1200GSLC.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/punK_O76-ck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's average speed not actual speed?

Well, the bike was due to be delivered next week into the dealership. Good news is that its arriving tomorrow.:JB As long as everything goes ok with setting it up, I should be able to ride away this Saturday.:JB

Had a short test ride today. Yes it is more responsive in every way just as you said. What I did notice though is a bit of harshness that is fed back to the handle bars when shutting the throttle to use the engine braking, especially at speed. Engine braking is less pronounced but the fueling is much more smoother and accurate. The eagerness and response from the engine makes that you have to adapt the shifting a bit as not to let the engine rev up between quick shifts. The windscreen is very effective. I took my Shoei Hornet for the ride and it is dead quiet behind the screen (in high position). My GSA does make the top vent vibrate. BMW used some parts from its current stock like the 800 mirrors and RT handles.

Congrats with your purchase. I'll wait till the adventure model is released. BMW has made a bike that would appeal to the majority of GS owners and win some new customers. It is a very good touring machine. Maybe the LC GS Adventure would be the ultimate touring machine in the BMW range, apart from the new LC RT I suspect.

GS

You can display it top right of LCD display by selecting using the buttons on the left bar, and it can be the actual speed, not average, I used it today. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom