route 66

ronniez1a903

Reaction score
hi all
long shot i know but has anyone done route 66 or know of anyone that has.
would be greatfull for any info & maybe this will start a interesting thread for other tossers.
thanks in advance. kind regards Ronnie :beerjug:

There's already quite a lot on here if you do a search. I've driven some of what's left of it out West. I think it's a nice romantic idea but there are far more interesting places to ride a motorcycle in the USA. I know because I've ridden quite a few of them, as have several other people on here.

I've ridden a couple of hundred miles of the western end through the Mojave desert, the twisty Topock - Oatman section and the "classic" Kingman - Seligman section.

Apart from the bit north of Oatman, it was pretty dull. As Mike said, there are much more interesting places to ride in the States. Williams is a lovely little town though and an ideal overnight stop for the Grand Canyon.

ahyjyzuq.jpg

y8aqetaj.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

... I think it's a nice romantic idea but there are far more interesting places to ride a motorcycle in the USA.....

This is quite true. The original Rt 66 carried a lot of traffic for the time and must have been an interesting road to travel. There were lots of business' along it catering to travelers. Also it went through some interesting, scenic, areas of the country.
Fast forward to today where many sections have either been by-passed by, or upgraded to, larger more modern highways leaving most of the little business' to whither away. Sections in a few towns where 66 goes through that were once vibrant areas now feature boarded up buildings and "marginal" type housing along with their inhabitants.

In short some parts of it are quite nice, some pretty yucky, most relatively mundane.

RT 66

Hi Ronnie, A group of us done it in 2006, start in Chicago and ride west, the further west you go the more interesting it becomes, allow yourself a minimum of 14 days, September is the best month for biking it, we rented Harleys from Eagle Rider, top class company, we rented for 21 days and they charged us for 20 days, buy a map of RT 66 in each state showing both the route and attractions, that way you get to see most of it, motels are cheap and plenty of them, food and fuel are cheap, if your a drinking man some counties are dry, so check the beer situation before you book in, before you leave Chicago be sure and eat in Lou Mitchell,s restaurant. Enjoy the trip.

And then there's Seligman......

LOL Seligman is a good place to stop. But near by there’s a lot of nice riding and interesting places to see and stay in that whole area of Arizona around the towns of Jerome, Flagstaff, Prescott, many like Sedona (is simply too yuppy for me). There are a lot of FS (Forest Service) roads in the Prescott National Forest which are fun to ride a GS on. This area is a little southwest of the Grand canyon. I'm not one to linger but if you're riding through on Rt 66 I would allow a few days in NW Arizona. Here are a few pics from a ride we did in that part of Arizona. It’s pretty varied.

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

Rt 89 south of Prescott
IMG_1941.jpg

Outside of Jerome
IMG_1932.jpg

Back
Top Bottom