Rad Fan and Rad Cleaning?

john_aero

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok last weekend went on bit trail ride, nothing too hard just slow going.

it wasnt a warm day, in fact was cold enough but fan kept comming on even after 15min slow riding.

i see the rad is bit blocked so going put mesh over fender holes and rad guard

anyone have a way cleaning the rads without damaging them.

i had this issue with my blackbird and ended up using powerwasher (i know should have)

Ok last weekend went on bit trail ride, nothing too hard just slow going.

it wasnt a warm day, in fact was cold enough but fan kept comming on even after 15min slow riding.

i see the rad is bit blocked so going put mesh over fender holes and rad guard

anyone have a way cleaning the rads without damaging them.

i had this issue with my blackbird and ended up using powerwasher (i know should have)

I had this issue with my original radiator. The core was so rammed full of mud i couldn't do anything with it. I even resorted to digging it out with a think welding rod, which didn't do it any good :blast.

On reflection, the kindest way maybe to find someone with an ultrasonic parts washer, or failing that submerge the radiator in a bucket over a diffuser connected to the end of an air line and leave it for a few days, and let the bubbles and water dislodge all the mud.

I think once the bike has got hot for long periods, the mud gets cooked in and this is where is becomes a nightmare to remove.

Easiest way of avoiding this is blank off the vents in the back of the front fender. hindsight is a wonderful thing :blast

Stainless mesh works for me

Luckily we don't have too much clay mud up here and the rad stays clean

Before

DirtyRad1.jpg

DirtyRad2.jpg

Solution

Solution2.jpg

Solution1.jpg

Fitted1.jpg

Fitted2.jpg

Now

CleanRad.jpg

The rad stays clean and whilst riding & hot, the bike can tickover for 5 mins before the fan comes on - even on a hot day

cheers might try pick some up this week.

just want get rad clean 1st. section in centre is bad.

last owner must never have cleaned it and after day in the big got lot clrap throw into it

well last day was 1st day fan ever came on

Back
Top Bottom