R1150GS - brake pads

rob

I need to change the brake pads on my R1150GS - can anyone recommend a brand which gives a superior performance when compared with OE pads ?

IMHO - Stick to OE - I've never been tempted to change from OE on the 1150 or any of my Hondas.

I changed mine to EBC double H. My bike has ABS and it gave a much better feel to the brake and reduced that wooden feel OE pads give. Wear rate is about the same, never managed to fade them and they are there wet or dry.

HOWEVER:
Because non OE pads dont have the springs to stop the pads chattering in their housing, the pads can, and do, rub on the pad locating pin and after about 20k miles it means the pins need replacing.... currently £20 for two fronts and one rear.

Because the EBC pads are cheaper, overall, it works out at about the same price as using standard pads. So I am going to stick with the EBC because I prefer the feel and braking that they give.

Personal choice!

I changed my pads to EBC as well, I wasn't happy to do so but I didn't have a choice at the time. I quickly learnt that there was a front end rattle and then realised that the anti rattle clips attached to the original pads, did in fact stop the rattle.

I have happily been going along thinking that I'll change back to OEM pads when these wear out. However after reading this report I decided to check out my EBC pads and monitor the pins.

I too found that the pins were wearing, on the top that is. After a bit of lateral thinking, I turned them around 180° fitted the new BMW pads and then inserted the locking split pin, that way the pads are resting on virgin pins!

Now my front doesn't rattle and I won't be wearing my pins out as quickly.

I agree with Johnny, that the OEM pads of all manufacturers are usually, in the long term, good value for money!

Mick.

Back
Top Bottom