What is the basic package

Sooty09

Reaction score
My local dealer has no idea what is included in the base model, he has not sold one yet.
I had a test ride and liked the bike but I don't want cruise control, active suspension etc.
I do want a basic computer and LED screen giving me fuel consumption,time,temp range etc, very similar to the Trip computer on the F800GS.
I know the base model has ABS, but what about traction control?
The Motorrad site and new brochure have no info at all about lower specs.

My local dealer has no idea what is included in the base model, he has not sold one yet.
I had a test ride and liked the bike but I don't want cruise control, active suspension etc.
I do want a basic computer and LED screen giving me fuel consumption,time,temp range etc, very similar to the Trip computer on the F800GS.

Try here http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/motorcycles/enduro/bmw-r-1200-gs/prices-and-specifications.html
:aidan

I find it quite scary that a dealer doesn't know the spec of a bike that they are selling:eek: He obviously had a hangover when the training course was running. The basic spec of the bike is on the BMW website, what's not to understand?:nenau

Thanks Dario, I have a brochure but it has no information. It just states there is an info flat screen, rev counter and speedo, so just a digital trip and the fuel gauge could be included. I would be very disappointed if it was but I would like clarification before ordering one.

This is from the press launch

EVERYTHING IN VIEW.

The instrument cluster is one of the most conspicuous new features on the R 1200 GS. Fitted as standard, the onboard computer presents the rider immediately with all of the key details and functions of the GS. All instruments have been developed including both analogue dials and the large LCD display, which have been further enhanced for fast and reliable information even on tough terrain.

A first in the R 1200 GS instrument cluster is an extensive range of options for personalising the display. The optional Pro Enduro onboard computer can be configured to present information like mileage, oil level, consumption, and temperature at the top or bottom of the display. Every rider can therefore set his/her personal preferences.

In addition, the Pro Enduro onboard computer provides many other additional functions like; remaining range, ride time, and various consumptions and speeds, etc.

Clear? not to me. The endure pro can be set to show things at the top or bottom. Does this mean the standard computer has them but in preconfigured locations or not at all?
The GS800 trip computer costs £120 and is worth the money, it includes average and current fuel consumption, ambient temp, range etc. It is much better than the R1200 computer because you can see the clock and other information on the same display.
The R1200GS Adventure tip computer is £155
The cheapest way to get a Computer Pro on the LC is to purchase the premium package at £1410,

Base model does not have traction control or electronic suspension - I bought a base model for exactly those reasons - suspension is a normal rear shock with manual rebound damping and pre-load. The basic computer is included, heated grips and LED headlamp and indicators are extra.

I assume that coming from Leeds, Alan Jeffries would be your local dealer ?

I'd be very surprised if they haven't sold a new 1200 yet.

Steve

"I assume that coming from Leeds, Alan Jeffries would be your local dealer ?
I'd be very surprised if they haven't sold a new 1200 yet."

They have sold lots, but all the first delivery are high spec bikes. The don't know what the base computer includes. The tech spec and info available is far from clear. They will not get the second batch until the start of march.

Have you received your bike yet Engineer? yours is the spec I would be ordering.

"I assume that coming from Leeds, Alan Jeffries would be your local dealer ?
I'd be very surprised if they haven't sold a new 1200 yet."

They have sold lots, but all the first delivery are high spec bikes. The don't know what the base computer includes. The tech spec and info available is far from clear. They will not get the second batch until the start of march.

Have you received your bike yet Engineer? yours is the spec I would be ordering.
Yes been riding it for two weeks!

Thanks Engineer.
What info do you get on the Display screen.
MPG, Range, Ambient Temp, Average speed, Time, Fuel gauge, Gear indicator, Engine temp etc.
Any idea how the engine tune compares with the selectable Rain/road/Dynamic settings.

Thanks Engineer.
What info do you get on the Display screen.
MPG, Range, Ambient Temp, Average speed, Time, Fuel gauge, Gear indicator, Engine temp etc.
Any idea how the engine tune compares with the selectable Rain/road/Dynamic settings.

You get all if that - guess engine map is some sort of middle compromise but all maps have full power so the other modes are just marketing in my opinion, if you want less power just open the throttle less - no need to complicate things :)

You get all if that - guess engine map is some sort of middle compromise but all maps have full power so the other modes are just marketing in my opinion, if you want less power just open the throttle less - no need to complicate things :)

That's good to know - so standard spec includes a decent computer. Sounds like the basic package + heated grips is the way to go - £11,600 before discount.

Of course then have to factor in the cost of Ohlins and a pipe but that's very competitively priced imo :thumby:

That's good to know - so standard spec includes a decent computer. Sounds like the basic package + heated grips is the way to go - £11,600 before discount.

Of course then have to factor in the cost of Ohlins and a pipe but that's very competitively priced imo :thumby:
I added just heated grips and panniers, computer functions are a big step up from my basic twin-cam - didn't want fancy suspension. I prefer my bikes relatively simple, my personal view is that too much technology detracts from the motorcycling experience.

Isn't cruise control part of the standard spec due to the fly by wire throttle?

Isn't cruise control part of the standard spec due to the fly by wire throttle?

No it isn't - there is a separate button and I ain't got one on mine - cruise control is for girls and car drivers anyway :D - this throttle is pretty light anyway and my skinny wrists don't have any problem holding the throttle open.

cruise control is for girls and car drivers anyway :D - this throttle is pretty light anyway and my skinny wrists don't have any problem holding the throttle open.

Cruise control pretty useful for us with mangled right wrists and do long trips.

But seriously seeing that a toolkit is included what in it? Better or worse than the 2010-2012 TC?

Cruise control pretty useful for us with mangled right wrists and do long trips.

But seriously seeing that a toolkit is included what in it? Better or worse than the 2010-2012 TC?

Less tools in the toolkit compared to the TC.:blast Maybe you won't need to use them:D BMW will sell a more complete tool kit if you need more tools:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom