Has anyone dropped one yet?

VAL. H.

Thrower of cats at pigeons
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has any one dropped, binned, slid off etc one of these new LCs?

My original thought for this post was wholly malicious :D But then I started wondering how they faired in a fall. Any significant damage to the rads of other parts etc?

Back in the day. Before I picked up (but after the deposit was paid) my new (now 8 years old) 1200GS I saw one that had been down the road. It was lying on it's side on the AA truck. The forks had completely separated from the top yoke and where folded under the left cylinder. Bike completely totaled.

Anyone wish to show their embarrassing pictures? :thumby:

Val.

My original thought for this post was wholly malicious :D But then I started wondering how they faired in a fall. Any significant damage to the rads of other parts etc?

Back in the day. Before I picked up (but after the deposit was paid) my new (now 8 years old) 1200GS I saw one that had been down the road. It was lying on it's side on the AA truck. The forks had completely separated from the top yoke and where folded under the left cylinder. Bike completely totaled.

Val.
This can't have happened from just dropping the bike on the side.

Crash bars for the cylinders (absolutely mandatory), panniers and good hand guards will probably save the day in case you drop it.

Val.

No pictures but one of the guys in my group did a somersault offroad down off the edge of the track. Only damage was to the screen mechanism, didn't want to adjust afterwards....

This can't have happened from just dropping the bike on the side.

Crash bars for the cylinders (absolutely mandatory), panniers and good hand guards will probably save the day in case you drop it.
Been running my HP for a long time and through many drops without crash bars and the bike's been fine. You'll also note that they don't run the 12's with crash bars at the BMW school either.

So I'd be inclined to disagree with the mandatory statement.

Been running my HP for a long time and through many drops without crash bars and the bike's been fine. You'll also note that they don't run the 12's with crash bars at the BMW school either.

Suit yourself.

And I suppose with all those drops the rocker casings are still immaculate

+1

Crash bars can make things a whole lot worse

+1

Crash bars can make things a whole lot worse

So I have heard said but when we had an off (low speed) the bars saved engine, and personal,damage, a bit of tape for the right hand indicator was enough to carry on. Did get a street cred improving scuff on my jacket to show for it too.

For me the bars are there for just this sort of thing. Very low speed or stationary drops can easily put the bike out of action so I'm keeping the bars. If I ever rise from my position of being an impoverished Inn keeper and get a new GS then that will have bars too.

John

Back
Top Bottom