Moving to UK from US, need to ship my GS!!!

labancook

Reaction score
I'm moving from the US to Leeds. Any advice on how/who to ship my 2009 1200 GS Adventure would be hugely appreciated. If you're feeling extra generous, initial ride recommendations to initiate myself into the local environment and traffic laws would be welcome too!

Indy to Leeds, huh - welcome to culture shock....:D The good news is that in the UK, the cops don't drive their cruisers as family cars when they're off duty and there aren't so many of them on the roads. I don't think I've ever seen so many cop cars on the roads as I did in Indianapolis where a radar detector seems to be a must-have.

The bad news is the number of fixed speed cameras and camera vans in England. Also, I've always thought that there's something of a different approach to speed limits here in the UK with, arguably, a greater observance of them than anywhere I've been in the US.

Oh and you can't turn left on red here as you'd turn right on red in many US states. It is, however, legal to lane-split / filter / call it what you will in much the same way that you can in California. Covering big distances here in the UK will take you much longer than it will in the Mid-West. 300 miles is a long way in the UK and could easily take you 6 hours or more.

I can't really comment on local rides other than heading SW out of Leeds for 15 to 20 miles to the Peak District. Much of the rest of England is a wasteland when it comes to good motorcycling country. Wales can be nice and much of Scotland is superb, apart from the weather....
1668.gif

As for importing your bike from the US, the simplest and quite possibly the cheapest way to do it would be not to do it at all, sell yours in the US and buy a good used bike over here. You might want to research the respective values of used motorcycles on both sides of the Atlantic. However, if you really must import your bike then you might like to start your research here.....https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

On reflection, perhaps it's not quite so bad as I might have made it sound....:augie

HTH

Leeds is in Yorkshire, some on the very best roads anywhere.

The Dales is virtually endless....

Keep an eye on the Yorkshire section we had some great days out last year and will be having more this year.

Oh forgot to say, "Welcome aboard".

:beerjug:

There are quite few UK driving customs you'll need to get used to here:
  • On motorways, you should, at all times, drive in the centre lane, unless you need to pass other traffic, when you should return immediately to the centre lane
  • It is considered impolite and patronising ever to signal your intentions at a roundabout
  • Recent EU legislation has extended the priorite a droit rule to all UK roads
  • The so-called 'tosser salute' :)tosser) is now accepted as a friendly gesture to fellow motorists and, particularly, as a sign of respect to police officers.
  • If you are stopped by the police, the appropriate form of address is 'Dibble'
  • In roadworks on motorways where two lanes go into one you should not attempt to join the single lane until the last possible moment. Fellow motorists will assume that your business is more important than theirs and make a gap for you.
There are many of these customs and conventions, I'm sure others will chp in with their own.

.......... initiate myself into the local environment and traffic laws would be welcome too!

Welcome ...

Best read the highway code .... https://www.gov.uk/highway-code .... gives you the rules of the road, starting with ride on the left :blast

Your US licence would be valid for 12 months (I think), then you need to exchange it for a UK/EU licence. Insurance is also compulsory in the EU:blagblah

Yorkshire has some of the best bike roads in the UK, as well as 2 national parks to explore. The Lake District National Park is also not that far from Leeds :aidan

Come, Play, Enjoy and stay shiny side up :beerjug:

If ya want to meet up for a beer before ya move, let me know and I'll tell ya all I know about riding in the UK ...which admittedly isn't a lot. But have ridden there on vacation 4 times or so.

Email: EaracheMS at Gmail.com

I'm moving from the US to Leeds. Any advice on how/who to ship my 2009 1200 GS Adventure would be hugely appreciated. If you're feeling extra generous, initial ride recommendations to initiate myself into the local environment and traffic laws would be welcome too!

If you can wait until the end of July, I have a container coming back from San Francisco and I would have a space in there. This would get back to the midlands in August. I'm sure Earache would volunteer his services to ride it to Santa Rosa for you:augie

You can mail me at chris@unchainedtours.com if you are interested.

Local Area

Indy when you come over message me me,I live in Sheffield, be glad to show you some excellent roads in Peak District, and Yorkshire Dales?

Regards GSMan:JB

I would, only because that's the kind of caring, giving and supportive type of person that I am.:p

Yeah but you'd also need a tame Chicago cop or a Brit with you to provide a get-out-of-jail-free card for the inevitable double yellow line bust.......:D

Although Mike (Schtum) should have an intimate knowledge of the excellent roads of Northern England, having been born in Carlisle, the Peak District is too crowded unless you get on the tiny back roads. Great for walking or mountain biking though.

However, the stunningly beautiful Yorkshire Dales, North Yorkshire Moors and Trough of Bowland are all within spitting distance. Slightly further north there's the Lake District and North Pennines before reaching the delights of Scotland :cool:

Further afield, much of Wales and Northern Scotland offers deserted roads and lovely countryside. The West Coast of Scotland is a very special place indeed :bow

Back
Top Bottom