K1600-sorry,i just dont get it.

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, maybe its me. I have a K1600GTL loaner whilst my RT is being serviced and I just don't see why people rave about it. OK, its a nice bike and all that, but there are a number of things which to me are no good, such as a clunk through the clutch lever every time you change gear and when rolling on or off the throttle there is a clunk through the bike from the transmission. Other things such as poor weather protection compared to an RT, even though the screen is the size of a barn door. Oh, and the most serious problem (to a tightwad Yorkshire man) BOY, does it drink petrol ! :eek:;);)

On the good side, even a shorty like me can get both feet down, and its a nice smooth engine.

I borrowed one for a day from Coopers in Tonbridge Wells.

1) Big.
2) Fast.
3) Comfy.
4) Handles OK.
5) Lots of switches and things....

However I have to admit that I was surprised when the oil light came on after 150miles - I would have expected the dealership to top it off before letting me cane it for a day. If they did check the level then I don't think I want a new bike that drinks oil. My Pan doesn't, nor the Blackbird. I expect boxers to use a bit 'cos thats the way of things but with all the R&D and design that goes into a new all singing / dancing 6 cyl engine, you'd have thought that they could have made one that didn't burn through oil at that rate. Honda do.

I didn't buy one (in reality, I was never going to - I just wanted a go!)

Ok, maybe its me. I have a K1600GTL loaner whilst my RT is being serviced and I just don't see why people rave about it. OK, its a nice bike and all that, but there are a number of things which to me are no good, such as a clunk through the clutch lever every time you change gear and when rolling on or off the throttle there is a clunk through the bike from the transmission. Other things such as poor weather protection compared to an RT, even though the screen is the size of a barn door. Oh, and the most serious problem (to a tightwad Yorkshire man) BOY, does it drink petrol ! :eek:;);)

On the good side, even a shorty like me can get both feet down, and its a nice smooth engine.

+1

I've ridden the K16 a couple of times (as a loaner)
But what you say, is exactly how i would sum it up.

Great engine, crap gearbox and mpg...:nenau

:Motomartin

+1

As an engine it's amazing. As a tourer, my RT wins hands down - better ergonomics, better weather protection, better handling etc. I'm looking forward to the WC RT, I just hope they don't ruin it.

Mine uses no oil, i get 50mpg if the onboard computer is to be believed & friends Rt felt small & buzzy in comparison when ridden back to back. Will agree transmission is little unsmooth but once used to it doesn't bother.

I borrowed one for a day from Coopers in Tonbridge Wells.

However I have to admit that I was surprised when the oil light came on after 150miles - I would have expected the dealership to top it off before letting me cane it for a day. If they did check the level then I don't think I want a new bike that drinks oil. My Pan doesn't, nor the Blackbird. I expect boxers to use a bit 'cos thats the way of things but with all the R&D and design that goes into a new all singing / dancing 6 cyl engine, you'd have thought that they could have made one that didn't burn through oil at that rate. Honda do.

So 1600's drink oil then :augie

I was reading on a couple of other forums, that BMW have replaced some K16's FOC, due to heavy oil consumption, seems more common than you imagine

Why the italics :nenau

I've read on some forums about tank slappers :confused:

I've used service bikes when the fuel light has come on and thought what a shit mpg :rolleyes:

...I don't think that in general the watercooled engines use half as much oil as the boxers - I used to have to top up the GS & RT on a regular basis, while the 1600GT has only needed a sip in 3.5k miles of hard riding.

This isn't a competition - the bikes are different and each has values. I thought that the RT was the most complete motorcycle I had ever owned and ridden (and I had two) it does everything well. However I was blown away by the GT's engine when my RT was in for a service. For me, I do prefer the GT to the GTL as it is a bit less lardy but agree that the weather protection is not as good as the RT.

It will be dangerous for me to test ride the new WC RT when it comes out as I'm sure I will want one - the boxer's have so much character...

For now, I'm really enjoying the GT and after a week away in France blatting down empty D roads, I still have a smile on my face... My son asked me while I was away, which bike I would rather be on - the RT or the GT - and I have to say that at the moment I would say the GT... but it's close...

:)

They just got the transmission and clutch wrong, just like the 1200 and 1300 its ok and you can live with it but why didn't they get it right?
After my K1200GT i never want a clunky bike again.

They just got the transmission and clutch wrong, just like the 1200 and 1300 its ok and you can live with it but why didn't they get it right?
I agree!!!

I test rode a K1300S and it had a really slick gearbox, unlike the clunky one on my K1200S :confused: The engine was much smoother too - I might have bought a K1300GT if they'd still made them new, but the K1600GT just looks to big.

We're probably going to hire a GTL from Eaglerider next year though when we head back to the States as the RT was a little breathless at altitude.

Just returned from a 9 day trip to Salzburg in Austria via the Hull to Rotterdam ferry. Passed through the Netherlands and Germany enroute to Austria using mainly major roads due to time constraints. Once in Austria the rinding was mixed with a lot of Alpine roads thrown in. The bike was fully loaded 2 up. On the day trips in to the Alps from our base in Vals the big 6 averaged around 58mpg. I did not measure the motorway trip but imagine it was in the mid 40mpg range. Overall the bike averaged 50.8mpg over the 2000mile plus trip. Which I think was not too bad for such a big bike. I did a similar trip on my RT last year and averaged 54mpg overall. So if that is what you mean by drinking petrol then yes it does. Or did you just take it for a short test ride and ring the nuts off it like you would a sportsbike? I do not think a short test ride does the bike justice.

IMHO it ticks all the boxes for a high speed comfortable 2 up fully loaded touring bike with the grin factor built in. There is some clunk in the transmission, but this more to do with shaft driven bikes in general rather than a unique fault on the GT and this can be smoothed out by not closing the throttle fully when shifting gears. I found the weather protection while not as good as the RT, totally adequete for my purposes. It gave both myslef and pillion decent protection when caught in a downpour on a wet last day transit of 279 miles. Neither of us where soaked to the skin. Just saying. :thumb

With regard to excessive oil consumption, i accompanyed shipwreck on recent Austrian adventure, which included some 120mph supercruises on german autobahns 2up with 30kgs of luggage, and mines probably used 100ml of oil. Was 2/3 up dipstick before & halfway on return. Whilst not every bike is the same, & excessive oil use doesn't really feature much on more k1600 focused forums, so lets not talk up a problem where there isnt one, I also returned over 50mpg.

I've changed my mind about the k16

I had another k16GT as a loaner while my GSA was in for its service the other day.

Now this is the 3rd one I've ridden, and as stated in my previous posts, I wasn't too impressed with them....however.

I had this 16 for a whole 48hrs, so I thought I'd better give it good seeing too.
It was a 2013 GT with 1300miles on it, and had the radio and adaptive lights options.

So we went for a nice thrash around my favourite Welsh roads.

DSC_0080_zps0b064131.jpg

Now this 16 was a different animal to the others I've tried.
1. The gearbox was a lot slicker - not Suzuki smooth, but ok.
2. The fuelling was much smoother in all modes...nice

Now these two improvements transformed the whole K16 experience for me, and I loved it, and I didn't want to give it back:comfort

The radio/music system worked brilliantly, with U2 blasting at 80mph.
The adaptive headlight was simply excellent on dark twisty country roads...awesome.

And those air scoops on the fairing worked a teat in the near 30c heat.

If I had room in my garage for a third bike, I'd buy that demo K16 tomorrow.
:clap:bow

Oh, and my Lady also loved it..:eek::thumby:

Surely one doesn't have to "get it" - Isn't that why there are so many different motorbikes?

:rob

Back
Top Bottom