Switzerland, Austria July 2013-Bike concerns

HarrisBikeNut

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Travelling around Europe this July taking in Grossglockner, Stelvio etc.
Two concerns as follows
1.Bike has twin can Akrapovic system now fitted with db killers - Is the system likely to be an issue?
Also have an HID Light kit fitted for low beam. My neighbour has informed me of a post that states Swiss and Austrian police are on the hunt for said lights with a €100 on the spot fine. Is this correct? Does it apply to spot lights as well? Only if they are on? Any advice gratefully received!

Bob

Even if it is true..... First they have to catch you :thumb

The Austrians for sure are getting hotter on noisy bikes. My F800R cost me EUR 90 for it's sporty sound a year or so ago.

The chances of getting caught? Very slim. They are both big countries and not every Heidi is a plod.

If you do fall foul of 'em...... Cough up with good grace, it won't be the end of the world.

Depends on where you go according to what I hear. In our area you are unlikely to have a problem. We have never had a report from any of our guests of problems with exhausts or lights even when caught speeding. In other parts of Austria the police might take a different view.

There are a lot of horror stories about but most appear to involve a "friend of a friend". What I would call man in pub stories. Ride sensibly and make sure you carry your documents at all times and you should be OK. Adjust your lights for the extra load on the bike and they probably won't notice anyway. Oh, and don't try to argue with the police if you do get stopped for something. Most will have almost absolute discretion when it comes to a fine. Be polite, apologise if you were over the limit, pay up and be on your way.

Enjoy the trip. but don't forget to check weather conditions on the days you tackle the high roads-they can be very unpleasant on a bad day!

John

Austria July 2013

Thanks for that! With the wife as pillion, we won't be honing around so speeding won't be an issue but many thanks for the advice and putting my mind at rest.
Regards
Bob

Visited John in Austria last Sept. on my gsa with HiDs on dip, main beam, and spots, common sense after reading horror stories i only used spots in higher risk areas (high volume traffic etc.) and had the dip wound right down (no night riding).
I was eyeballed by plod a couple of times but never an issue (ride like a tart).

Both Countries are proportioned so your never far from a border, when you see them Blue Lights just gun it towards the nearest one :thumb

Stopped of in Switzerland last year for a few days on route to Monaco. Mate of mine was riding a Honda Vtx with open pipes, god was that thing loud, and no problems with the police. The hotel manageress at Lauterbrunnen turned out to be a biker and according to her most people have no problems with aftermarket exhausts etc.

Visited John in Austria last Sept. on my gsa with HiDs on dip, main beam, and spots, common sense after reading horror stories i only used spots in higher risk areas (high volume traffic etc.) and had the dip wound right down (no night riding).
I was eyeballed by plod a couple of times but never an issue (ride like a tart).

That's about right, if your Hids (or standard lights) are poorly adjusted then people will notice and you might just get stopped. We had a group here that included one bike with Hids that had not be set up right. None of his group wanted to be the bike in front of him even in daylight. He was not stopped during their stay with us but if he had been I doubt his mates would have had much sympathy.

John

Thanks for that! With the wife as pillion, we won't be honing around so speeding won't be an issue but many thanks for the advice and putting my mind at rest.
Regards
Bob

Certainly in our area they only have speed traps in places with low limits so having a pillion and not being in a hurry will have little impact. We still get people coming who don't know the rule about town limits. Because there is no speed limit sign they don't slow down enough coming into a town or village and get caught.

John

No friend of a friend here mate.I've got the ticket to prove it about the Austrian plod.
Where coming down your way this year so hopefully wont get pulled now down to just one HID dipped everything else is led or std.
Mts

No friend of a friend here mate.I've got the ticket to prove it about the Austrian plod.
Where coming down your way this year so hopefully wont get pulled now down to just one HID dipped everything else is led or std.
Mts

Austrian police are like those in the UK, policy appears to vary from one force to the other. Ours a laid back to say the least, we have just had 3 guys given a 10 Euro fine each for exceeding the normal 50 kph in a village. I have heard that in the Tirol things can be different and indeed we were stopped on an autobahn in the Tirol and fined about 150 Euros . As I said there is not an Austrian police force any more than a unified British police force so there will be differences. So come to our area and enjoy, just don't speed in towns etc and hopefully things will stay as relaxed. - Just in case of misunderstanding this comment is aimed a visiting bikers in general and not at any specific people on here.

John

Dont worry about noise in CH, there are hundreds of open pipe harleys around and i have my 690 without the DB killer (measured at 98dB) and go thru the border on a daily basis- not issues.

i remember someone on here got stopped in austria with full hids and got fined. but it was hid mains and hid spots from what i remember so drawing attraction to yourself.

Travelling around Europe this July taking in Grossglockner, Stelvio etc.
Two concerns as follows
1.Bike has twin can Akrapovic system now fitted with db killers - Is the system likely to be an issue?
Also have an HID Light kit fitted for low beam. My neighbour has informed me of a post that states Swiss and Austrian police are on the hunt for said lights with a €100 on the spot fine. Is this correct? Does it apply to spot lights as well? Only if they are on? Any advice gratefully received!

Bob

There are a lot of horror stories about but most appear to involve a "friend of a friend". What I would call man in pub stories.
John

Real tales I,m sure, heres the original thread;
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312410&highlight=stopped+austria+fine+lights

Back
Top Bottom