CVO 110 motor.

Captain Black

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know of the muttering's on forums about reliability of the 110 motors ? Seems issues re sleeves and head gaskets leaking along with some overheating issues.
I'm swatting up as best I can online and it seems that the 07/08 and early 09 models had some issues, but late 09/10 were sorted with a head gasket recall kit bring fitted.
Some noisy top end chatter was mention as well.
I'd have thought Harley would have these motors down to a fine art they've been churning them out long enough.
Apparently a repipe and ecu kit/tune helps with the smooth running etc.
Oil around the rear cylinder heads and block is a sign of trouble to come.
Wonder if its just the CVO ft bob or across the 110 range ?
Storm in a tea cup perhaps ? :nenau

And I thought getting covered in engine oil while out riding was back in my Triumph Trophy days! :blast

From memory I recall it was around 08/09 when these motors were recalled for replacement gaskets. I've not heard any such issues with newer ones

Just skimmed through 70 pages of technical writing on this issue and couldn't hope to précis it satisfactorily...way above my pay scale.

ISBN 978-0-595-52745-8. Chapters 3 and 16 ....available from Amazon. Good luck !!:D

I'd have thought Harley would have these motors down to a fine art they've been churning them out long enough.

:roll

It took them nearly 30 years to stop the back end sliding all over the place on the Tourers. I'm sure a little oil leak won't even focus on the radar.

:roll

It took them nearly 30 years to stop the back end sliding all over the place on the Tourers. I'm sure a little oil leak won't even focus on the radar.

Maybe if they fixed the oil leaks the rear end (tyre) would grip properly. :pullface

The gist of it is...HD are trying to find more power..which the market wants...retain the HD look and " character" ...which the market wants....whilst meeting the ever increasing " environmental" pressures...which the powers that be insist on.....and facing financial pressures from the competition....They can't keep going forever...:tears

Just like our very own Land rover Defender.

The gist of it is...HD are trying to find more power..which the market wants...retain the HD look and " character" ...which the market wants....whilst meeting the ever increasing " environmental" pressures...which the powers that be insist on.....and facing financial pressures from the competition....They can't keep going forever...:tears

So a retune and open pipes = better reliability ?
Are they detuned and suffocated to death ?

I did read that a tune re map and open pipes makes the whole package smoother. But does it mean more reliable ? :nenau

I did read that a tune re map and open pipes makes the whole package smoother. But does it mean more reliable ? :nenau

It's a huge topic....and not "simple" ...fortunately there are people out there who know all there is to know..:D I'm only on volume 2 of 12....it's a mere 700 pages of small text and big knowledge .....:thumb

In my opinion you can find fault with every product made....So don`t bother, just suck it up when it happens:thumb

I have had 2 Buells.....The sportster engine tuned beyond it`s limits, add a bit of poor design and build to a budget.....Shit is guaranteed and part of the experience of owning.:beerjug:

Look for reasons not to buy and you won`t.

Life is much greater for dealing with shit successfully:cool I know, I have had enough shit.

In my opinion you can find fault with every product made....So don`t bother, just suck it up when it happens:thumb

I have had 2 Buells.....The sportster engine tuned beyond it`s limits, add a bit of poor design and build to a budget.....Shit is guaranteed and part of the experience of owning.:beerjug:

Look for reasons not to buy and you won`t.

Life is much greater for dealing with shit successfully:cool I know, I have had enough shit.

That's kind of what I'm looking into....buying the most appropriate "base", familiarising myself with the known faults...and therefore known fixes...to build it as I would have liked the factory to do in the first place...with the benefit of hind sight...:thumb2

That's kind of what I'm looking into....buying the most appropriate "base", familiarising myself with the known faults...and therefore known fixes...to build it as I would have liked the factory to do in the first place...with the benefit of hind sight...:thumb2

A proper Buell engine, thats the one that was in the tube frames and still makes the right noise, is the best engine of the bunch, thunderstorm heads and it still has the cassette gearbox, I think 4th was a weak link in that chain, but an easy fix.
And buying a tuber to chop has the purists crying:D
Cheap M2 99 onwards Cyclone has the right engine. Still a few things to change, like adjuster in the primary, oil pump gear....Things like oil tank would be changed on a build anyways.....Always good to change all gaskets with a new set as well.....Just the usual stuff that you need to do to a Harley/Buell to fend off some of the shit.:D

I've owned 4 110s the 07 / 08 are te likely ones to have oil disappearing tho not
All i know 1 07 that seized & another 08 with 30k no probs .
Buy post 08 which s when the frame changed also . IMO

FWIW, I had a Ulysses, in fact, I traded in my R1150GS for it and yes, I had some issues, front engine rubber mount sheared, but it was rideable, it just vibrated!mthe front disc warped and was replaced under warranty and the rear wheel bearings failed, but the engine was a peach and I love the motors, they are the pretty strong units and I love 'em!

I've owned 4 110s the 07 / 08 are te likely ones to have oil disappearing tho not
All i know 1 07 that seized & another 08 with 30k no probs .
Buy post 08 which s when the frame changed also . IMO

The 10th digit on my bikes chassis number is 9 which I think must make it 09 build. It wasn't registered until Sept 10 so I'm guessing maybe a late 09 build date.
The bike has 1950 miles on it with a remap, VH wide pipe and a chunky breather so I'm hopeful it will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom